Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Timing belt advice - Please

Roy Duffy

Country Flag
scotland
Hello

My 96 HDJ80 24v has just done 170,000 miles. Does anyone know where i should get a timing belt kit from? And is genuine the only way to go or have people been ok with aftermarket? What sort of money should it be costing?

Cheers Roy

Ahh, that old chestnut. Well you could go to a main dealer and buy genuine. You can't go wrong. You could use a contact on here to get you genuine with some discount. Or you can go aftermarket.

I have changed more belts than I can remember and I have never had a problem and I have never used genuine. People always say 'Why take the chance?' Well, what chance? Why is there the assumption that aftermarket belts are inferior? If you start the engine and watch the belt go round, it's probably the least stressed part of the engine. But that's my call. I shall keep buying aftermarket ones. I don't change the tensioner either, unless it needs changing. I see that as another unnecessary precaution. Changing the tensioner every time you change the belt? You might as well change the water pump every time you change the alternator belts too then.

Problem is Roy that when you ask a question like that you will always get different responses. I have absolutely no evidence that aftermarket belts are inferior nor that tensioners are the cause of failures. I am not denying that it could, does, or might happen. But I don't have any evidence. Maybe someone who will advocate the genuine option will have some evidence.

I'd stick a Milner on one any day. At 170k there is the potential that if not already done previously, there could be wear showing in the tensioner. So it's worth considering for the money. When I did mine at 215K it was a good as new. So I left it. May have been done by someone else.

Thank Chris

The records show that it was last done at 120,000. Was great meeting you at lincomb - thanks loads for the advice.

If the tensioner has not leaked I would reuse it. Slowly compress the piston with a vice in to the body. There should be resistance. Don´t do it quickly or you might break the hydraulics. Put a pin through to lock the piston in place until the belt is on then release. The spindle that the pulley body turns on should be lightly greased. My 80 has 140k on it with the original tensioner. FSM say you can reuse if no leaks and resisrance is felt.

OEM timing belt for my 12v was £26.48 plus VAT and postage (less a bit of discount) from helpful Simon at Steven Eagle toyota. Not sure how much Milners are!

The cost of setting up a timing belt manufacturing plant is hardly cheap. I think it is safe to say that the 'no name' brand is exactly the same as the OE offering. I have been 'in the game' for years and have compared many components (not just belts) OE against a 'copy' only to find casting marks are the same and often with the OE name ground off! Again with the tensioner, if it has leaked or when spun between your fingers it 'rattles' then replace. Now here comes the 'me and my big mouth bit' I have NEVER had a timing belt fail that I have fitted regardless of manufacturer............vision of Dave reaching over to touch wooden coffee table. :whistle:

regards

Dave

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Changed my belt a couple of weeks ago prior to going away and it was £42 OE from dealer. Re used the tensioner and idler pulley. Needless to say, I'm in the "stick to OE for crucial components" camp. JMO

Back