Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Timing belt light

froggy Steve

Supporter
Country Flag
europe
Had a bit of a scare on the way to the range this morning...timing belt warning light came on - doh! Mild panic then realised I should check the miles ...90,000 exactly. So its probably come on like its supposed to. When I got home, I checked the notes under the bonnet and it was changed on 07-1-05 at 33,465 miles and again on 20-1-10 at 67,389 miles. So, providing this is correct, is it worth changing now the lights come on at 90k miles? (its a 2000 kzj95 btw) Either way, I now have to go through the stupid getting rid of the light problem! Unless of course someone knows an easy way........

Steve

That should last another year but It's only a half hour job to change anyway.
Here's the sequence for resetting the light. This is for one in Kms, in miles the reading comes up as single digits, I.E. 9 = 90K miles, just checked mine and it ranges from 1 to 9 on the display.
1. To get to T-BELT MODE DISPLAY

a) With ignition turned ON, using the trip switch (select/reset button) change the display to ODO, and turn the ignition OFF

b) While pressing the trip switch, turn the ignition switch ON and hold it for 5 seconds.

c) Release the trip switch, then press the switch again within 5 seconds.

d) The digital display should change to T-belt mode. The initial display "15" (0,000km) is displayed (ie. 150,000km).

2. REWRITING REPLACEMENT VALUES

While in the T-Belt mode, each press of the trip switch will change the displayed value by 10,000km increments. Once " 20 " (200,000km) is reached the display reverts back to " 1 " (10,000km) again. Remember, this setting is the number of kilometres to be travelled before the light comes on next, and once reset this counter will start from zero. (my UK model goes from 1 to 9)

I believe the timing belt interval for all the 100 (about the same as 90 series) series engine variants is 150,000km, but this should be checked against each different markets servicing recommendation. This being the case, you shouldn't need to change from the default setting of "15".

Obviously for the UK, the ODO is in miles, and the T-Belt warning would be set in 10,000 mile intervals (increments 1 to 9).

3. T-BELT WARNING RESET COMPLETION

a) After setting the replacement setting value, hold the trip switch ON for more than 5 seconds then release the switch.

b) Check that the display has now changed back to ODO and that the warning light has gone off when the engine is started.

When I last reset mine I had to go through this a couple of times as it didn't work first time (I probably missed a step somewhere)

Hope this helps

Perfect thanks - just done it and it took a couple of mins max! Cheers muchley, saved stripping out the dash ;)
I think I will get it changed at the same time we get new suspenders fitted, hopefully in 2 or 3 months

great Forum

thanks for being here :)

How do you reset it when you have a non digital dash?

Richie

Take the dash binnacle off, swap a screw over to the other hole, put back together.

90 Timing belt light.jpg

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I went to reset by swapping the screws over as described above but I have a screw in both holes....??? Any ideas or have I a screw loose!!!!

I would take one out and try it, if that doesn't work transfer the single screw to the other hole and try again.

If that doesn't work . . you're on your own :doh:.

Should the extra screw be somewhere else ?? It's like a "spot the difference" quiz !

DSCN9102.JPG

Bob.

Cheers Bob. I thought to swap the screws over after I had fitted it all back together! I'll have a look again sometime, thanks for the tips though.

Back