Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Timing belt post,again

Matthew1955

Country Flag
wales
Hope you guys can help.

Yesterday my better half was out in my 120 diesel as I am unable to drive for the next 10 weeks and had the Timing belt light come on,she had just gone over the 90K miles. The service book says that an independant garage changed the belt when they service the car at 76K,thats what it says but how certain I can be of that who knows.
So what would you guys suggest 1) Take it that it was done and find out how to re set the warning light if it is possible to come on again at 166K (76K plus 90K )or 2) just bite the bullet,spend the money and get it changed along with the Tensioner and water pump,gulp.
She is now rather concered about driving it without knowing what the consequences are of nothing being done until I can drive again.Thanks

If you are certain it was changed, then you can reset the light. It's not a hard job to do, so you can get the parts and do it yourself.

You should be OK to drive for a little bit with the light on. I think I did an e transfer 2-3k with it on, before I got it to a garage to change the belt (I was lazy to do it myself)

Matthew I wouldn't be too concerned probably worth waiting as the belts are over engineered but if you feel more relaxed then change it. This is what I did with my 80 series after buying it.

Its always recommended to change the tensioner and water pump, they don't cost much and its a hassle to have to strip the car again.

If a genuine Toyota belt is fitted there should be a small silver sticker attached somewhere in the engine bay with the mileage written on it, the sticker comes in the pack with the OEM belts, if this is present then it should put your mind at ease.

If there is no sticker it is probably still not an emergency situation to get it changed right away but I would suggest that you plan to get the belt, idler & pump swaped sooner rather than later.

I did my 100 series as part of my baseline service in the first few months of my ownership, just to make sure I knew exactly when it was changed, I replaced everything with OEM.

I ordered all the parts from Amayama and fitted them myself to save on costs.

Thanks for your advice everyone .I think I will wait till I am back on my feet and see if I can find the label T1pper mentioned.If not I will get the local dealer to do the belt and pump and have peace of mind,cheers again

If you have no invoice to show what was done, then assume nothing was done. Writing in a service book means nothing really, an invoice is not proof, but slightly better.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ok my misses has had a look and found a label marked

Gates ( The manufactures)

( X ) Powergrip (The Type)

( ) V power

Km 77861 ( The Mileage,although it say Km) This matches with the mileage shown when the belt was changed in the service book.

The X inside the brackets in front of Powergrip and Mileage are written in by hand

So this seems to be similar to the label T1perr was suggesting.I have looked up what type of belt this is and this is what I came up with
http://www.gates.com/products/industrial/industrial-belts/synchronous-belts/powergrip-timing-belts

The web site says
The trapezoidal tooth profile makes this belt well suited for use in positioning applications.
Timing belts are suitable for office machines, machine tools, postage equipment, sewing machines, vending machines, agriculture, outdoor power equipment, food processing, HVAC, oil fields, wood, paper, sand and gravel applications.

What do you guys who have changed belts in the past think to this,cheers

Last edited:
:text-+1: Never had a problem with Gates belts .

I would say that you are good to carry on then. just reset the light.
Ok thanks guys,next question,how do I re set the light.I have checked other posts and I do not have the second hole and bung in the dash to re set the light,can you great people help with this one please.

Youtube is your friend for this job, some variations depending on the exact dash cluster but there should be a video to cover what to do.

Thanks guys,I'll give it a go when I can.
Just going back to the type of belt that has been fitted ,I know it has worked ok between the change and now,about 12K miles but from the details on the web site it does not appear to be for the application it is being used for,knowing sod all about these things do you think I should be concerned.

If it was me I would plan to get the items swapped for the correct OEM ones when time and funds allow , but that is just me being a bit fussy.

Back