Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tips for Norway in november?

Pesca

Country Flag
netherlands
Hi all,

Taking the cruiser on a test run to the north of Norway. Any tips for nice roads to drive?

You'll need proper winter tyres, and if the snow comes early there may be road closures.

The tarmac road north to slettnes lighthouse via mehamn (the 888 I think it was) is an absolute pleasure to drive, at least it was a month ago, not sure about the weather in November though

Given the regular and huge snow clearing depots they have on that route, I'd suggest that there won't be so much as a single snowflake on the road. Yes it is the 888 and it is quite fantastic.

I'd take a hat and scarf though.

Looking forward to the challenge, thinking of maybe having a set of spike tires fitted for certain parts of the trip. Will post pics of the trip on this forum.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Its amazing place to visit and drive. I did Stravanger to Nordkapp, mid september to mid October 2 years ago. It was a fantastic trip. No snow at all, for the whole of the trip. Though the locals were saying there should be at least 30cm of snow. They were say it been like that for a few years now and thatthe climate has changed, for the time of year.

Happy to share route and pics if they are of use to you.

Which part are you thinking of visisting?

Gary

Its amazing place to visit and drive. I did Stravanger to Nordkapp, mid september to mid October 2 years ago. It was a fantastic trip. No snow at all, for the whole of the trip. Though the locals were saying there should be at least 30cm of snow. They were say it been like that for a few years now and thatthe climate has changed, for the time of year.

Happy to share route and pics if they are of use to you.

Which part are you thinking of visisting?

Gary

Feel free to share, very interested. I want to stick to the coast and drive up to Nordkapp. Also heard that some inland parts are amazing, but those will be crazy cold!

Feel free to share, very interested. I want to stick to the coast and drive up to Nordkapp. Also heard that some inland parts are amazing, but those will be crazy cold!

I ended up staying in huts and hotels once I was at the top of Norway, tuff on roof tents and tents. where you planning on staying, and long you going for?

G.

hi

Here is a link to my pics and video. Each folder has pics for that day and a map of the route taken. It might help give you a feel for the area on the map.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgQA8EJvpzpzsaZVko-X2RLER8GylQ

If there is any persific areas you like to know more about, ask away.

G.

I have about 4-5 weeks. I plan on sleeping in the back of my troopy, it is well insulated and I have heating options.

I would certainly try to have the same setup if I was doing the trip again. I ended up sleeping in the drivers seat a few times. Not great.

G.

I would certainly try to have the same setup if I was doing the trip again. I ended up sleeping in the drivers seat a few times. Not great.

G.
Was that because sleeping in the tent was too cold? What temperatures did you experience during your trip?

Temp and wind.

There was only one hotel open when I arrived in Nordkapp. No huts, well out of season. I was the only one staying there, very serreal.

G.

Norway has got a number of 'Scenic routes'. They travel through beautiful scenery and have facilities along them - toilets/ lookouts etc normally with some pretty crazy architecture. We managed about 12 of the 18 and they were all bloody amazing. If you plan a route getting to as many of these as you can you'll have a pretty good start.

https://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en/routes

When are you going? Huge NATO exercise going on and if you go via the eastern prts og southern Norway, like road RV3 you must expect delays and slow trafific due to armoured vehicles in the road (RV3 is normaly the fastest route between Oslo and Trondheim.
Winter tyres as mentioned. You will be fined or even be prohibited to drive further if your tyres aren't legal.
Ferry from Bodø to Lofoten and drive through Lofoten, to E6. Then take of to Road number 84 to Tennevoll-Sjøvegan-Sørreisa-Finnsnes and out on the Senja Island to Botnhamn. Ferry from Botnhamn to Ringmo/Brensholmen. From there you gor to Tromsø. But be sure to stop by Sommarøy on the way to Tromsø.
From Tromsø I guess you go to Nordkapp (which in my opinion is highly overrated.)

We're just looking at Norway as a possible venue for a 2-3 week trip next summer - probably in the 4x4 Sprinter camper. What's the best option to start the trip (keep in mind we start from the IOM so have a ferry to Liverpool or Heysham before we even begin!). Cheers!! :)

Norway is a tricky option. The absolute best option would be if they re-started the ferry from Hull / Newcastle direct to somewhere like Bergen. Don't get me wrong it is an utterly breathtaking destination but a long haul.
You can go by road through Denmark then pick up the West coast roads but there are quite a few ferries necessary if you want to stick to the coastal route. There's a limit to just how far up you can get before it's time to turn around. Or you can go up through the Baltic to Helsinki, drive up through Finland and then come back down the West coast of Norway, but again, that's a heck of a trip. Northern Norway, Mid Norway and Southern Norway are really quite different. I've been to the North but only watched videos such as the Missenden Flyer doing the other two bits. For me, the North is the most majestic. The coast is beautiful but the interior is a bit boring. I'd go back to Norway in a heartbeat. I can't stress how breathtaking (and expensive) it is. But it's just not an easy trip. Do watch The Missenden Flyer on You Tube. He does the middle and back on a bike in 2 weeks and it's a thrash frankly. I think you need at least a month. It's a very long country, slow going and not quick to get to in the first place. You will need, effectively, one week just to get there and back from the UK.

Theres no ferry to Denmark now, so the nearest is hook of holland unfortunately.

There is a ferry to Norway but it clearly says it's commercial traffic only and no leisure passengers.

Back