Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tired of leds anyone got these Hella ?

Shayne

Guru

If so will these fit https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/...MIwq35zMft7QIVShkGAB2CEwUhEAQYBiABEgK1e_D_BwE

What i'm looking for is an affordable maintainable long distance floodlight for the boat , i'd likely buy 8 of them for a 180 degree "search" area .

Leds are all well and good but few expect to use them for at least 6 hours daily .

Suggestions welcome

I also intend to ignore all existing wiring and start again from the battery which is 10 metres of wire away from the rear most lights so recommendations for dry junction boxes and connection etc all welcome as they will be exposed to the harshest conditions .

Hi Shayne,

I tend to use Eldon boxes along with tinned cable and soldered joints, shrink tube with adhesive for the joints.
Blue sea systems make some very good marine electrical products.

I've had some round Hella's on the LC for years and really rate them for quality and longevity so in that respect I'd recommend them. You'll probably find that decent LED bulbs wouldn't fit anyway due to their large rear heatsink/cooling fans. Hella do their own LED lamps but they're eye wateringly expensive. Ditto the Phillips bulbs for quality. For a 10m run with 55w bulbs I'd use minimum 2.5mm cable which will give around a 0.75v drop which is acceptable. I would want a minimum ip66 rating for junction boxes whichever brand you choose.

Will you be using trunking for the wire runs or run it as is Durite do some IP protective boxes and trunking plus the wire fixings you could also use the boxes off of hgv bulk trailers or tippers as they are put through some tough use don't know much of anything about boats and their specific wiring needs RS Components do the same as above

Last edited:
If the x200 bulbs won't fit then the idea is shot to pieces already because they won't be bright enough , was just thinking nothing will beat my headlights for output and longevity and i felt the clear lens of the hella was a plus .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back