Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

To Mongolia and back summer 2010 WARNING LOTS OF PHOTOS!

Rob

Totally agree with you re: overlanding and costs, My Morocco trips have been around £1500 all in for four weeks away, if two people went it would not be a lot more, bargain for what you get out of it IMO (life changing experience).

What are your thoughts of Ukraine as a working persons destination for overlanding? worth the travel? nice people? nice views? wild camping? safety? costs? tracks?

I've been thinking about somewhere to go next year for a four week trip, I thought about Norway but it seems expensive, tight speed limits and I hate the cold :mrgreen:

My experience of Ukraine was mainly negative, as most people I spoke with wanted bribes (I entered bought diesel, a green card, stopped by the police and left the country that's it). I spent less then 24 hours there and did not venture off the main roads so cant really answer your questions.

Very very good rob,Really wish i would do something like that. I would love the experience of it.As im sure everyone else feels the same
karl

Awesome write up mate, could read that over and over again :thumbup:

Loved the photos and now I feel realy cut up about having a full time job lol.

Rob,

Before you set off you asked if it would be a good idea to take a CB with. General consensus was no.
In hindsight, with all the folk that you met and traveled with, would a CB have been useful? Even something like a handheld or anything else discrete?

Short answer CB no. Dean and Paul were using Cardo Scala headsets (bluetooth) until Deans packed up due to moisture. I did wish on several occasions to have a communication system but even a PMR would have been useless in our case. Most of the travellers we met were bikers and they all use bluetooth. I would recommend taking a pair of PMR in case you do meet someone travelling in another vehicle without one. No one at Oasis in Ulaanbaatar had CBs but they did have PMRs.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Fantastic write up...

Glad to see you both (and the 80) made it back ok...

Thanks once again!!! :clap:
Rob, i have photos of road from Jakutsk to Magadan
I will try if you resolve, to place here ;)

That is fantastic!

Thank you so much for sharing this.
I'd love to do this myself one day.

Hmm..... I've got an old BMW 5 series coming in part exchange in a couple of weeks and 3 weeks holiday left...
I might just see how far East it will go before it dies!

Hi Rob
Great trip report!
Thanks!
just goes to show -- Beasts are meant to do just this...
And also, re-affirmed/re-inforced my own decision this week to start working on my vehicle under the guidance of decent 4x4 Landcrusier mechanics.
Regards
Renate

Hi Rob, I also have to say, I enjoyed reading that, good write up and excellent photos. I am hoping to venture into Russia, maybe next year to go and photograph some abandoned towns. May have to pick your brain at some point. Its very early in the planning but have persuaded my mate to start Russian lessons in preparation.
Jonnie

We are organising a trip there for Easter 2011

Paul said:

Hi Paul, if you don't mind I would like to pick your brain at some point as a mate and myself want to do a motorbike trip to Moscow and back vai Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and St Petersburg, late summer next year......

Paul said:

Have you done much planning yet? is it coming across as a reasonably easy trip or ...? how long are you going for and what are you thinking of doing? Questions questions! Over the next couple of years I want to do a couple of shortish trips and see how much I enjoy them, how much I miss my kids, work out what my children may be able to do when they are a little older, persuade my wife to do it etc etc. I wish I had ventured out into the big wild world before children popped up! I did 35k around Australia a few years back but it was nothing extreme, i don't think my purple Urvan was capable, but now I have a LC and desperate to go on some challenging journeys.
Jonnie

No worries, i'll start a new thread as this one is hijacked a little.

spackrackman said:
I am hoping to venture into Russia, maybe next year to go and photograph some abandoned towns. May have to pick your brain at some point. Its very early in the planning but have persuaded my mate to start Russian lessons in preparation.
Jonnie
No problem. Russian is very useful as no one speaks English. I got by OK knowing Polish though so any Slavic language will be helpful.

Back