Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

To Mongolia and back summer 2010 WARNING LOTS OF PHOTOS!

wow u made throu to mongolia ;) impressed. Im mongolian who lives in Uk. just impressed ur trip.:))

It's a trip I'd like to do. Afraid it won't happen this year.
Anyone interested in making up a small group (2 - 4 vehicles) for next year.
Exploratory at this stage but I'd be interested to get "expressions of interest"
K

Great pictures, great narrative and what an adventure. Still can't get over the Chinese LC rip-off. Is nothing sacred?

The Dark Dude

I Rob,

I stumbled on your report again, and of course, have read it all again.
However, many of the pictures didn't load this time?
The ones that loaded were from muleanddonkey, I think, may be wrong there a little.
The non loaders were from "dl.dropbox", have you moved them or deleted them? or maybe my computer just can not see them.

Any way, still the best write up I have read.

I was chatting o a friend recently, who is also planning UK to UB.
He tells me that just 2 visas are required.
First visa for entry into Russia,
Second visa for entry into Mongolia.
The route they suggested was London, Warsaw, (Poland), Daugavpils,(Latvia), Moscow, Tolyatti, Ufa, Chelyabinsk, Omsk, Novosibirsk, Krasnoyarsk, Irkutsk, Ulan Ude, Ulaan Baatar.

By heading north through Latvia, it bypasses Ukraine

However after arriving Novosibirsk on Hwy 51,(M51) they planned to deviate, to the right (south) and continue along Hwy 52. (M52)

You say the Green Card for Russia is 5000 RUB for 2 months, at 50 RUB = GBP1, thats about £100, is that correct? it just sounds a little high, but maybe I am just being cheap.

Fuel for 37 pence, is always a bonus, was there enough fuel stations on the M51, and the M52 ?

223f9d73.jpg

4621 miles to the western Mongol border with Russia.

Gra.

Hi Graham

Just checked the pics and they are all still working, (I checked on a PC that is not logged onto dropbox and has not got the software installed). I do find that some places (eg my work place) have blocked dropbox so photos do not work there and also dropbox occasionally just does not work due to bandwidth restrictions. I will download the photos hosted by Paul and Deans website so I will have full control of the photos.

Now regarding you question about the visas yes they only need 2 visas if they go via Latvia instead of Ukraine, one for Russia and one for Mongolia. I am assuming that they are EU citizens of course. The fist route you suggested where you enter Mongolia south of Ulan-Ude is about 99.9% tarmac all the way to Ulaanbaatar so rather boring. I would suggest entering Mongolia via the M52 at the Tashanta border crossing. I will be a far more interesting drive to Mongolia and across it. Fuel does get scarce after Gorno-Altaysk (the last 500km) but this is not a problem, like any remote area of Russia, the locals need fuel so where there is an isolated village/settlement/town there is bound to be fuel there. There are several places where you can get fuel near the border anyway and I recommend they fill up there as fuel in Mongolia is much more expensive.

The M51 is a major trans-Siberian highway and so you are spoilt for choice when it comes to fuel. Fuel prices vary quite a bit across Russia and as oil prices have gone up since we went I suspect that fuel will be more than 37p a litre these days, even in the cheaper parts. I tended to go with the cheapest fuel stations possible and my 80 only had an issue once, but looking at the fuel station you new you were going to have issues (bullet holes in the cashiers window, only 2 40 year old pump which looked like they were just placed on some gravel but drunk [strike:1ck4ra9l]builders[/strike:1ck4ra9l] err labourers as they weren't even remotely vertical...)

5000 RUB may sound a little high but I just bought it at the first place that offered a Green Card. Im sure if I shopped around then I could have got if for less.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think entering Mongolia via the M52 at the Tashanta border crossing, is by far the better option.

When you turned off the M51, and headed south on the M52 towards Tashanta, I have read that the border crossing there is not difficult, is that possibly your opinion?

Gorno-Altaysk looks to be about the half way point between Novosibirsk and the Tashanta border crossing, is this where you mean the fuel stations are a little thin on the ground?
I guess a tank range of about 500km, so did you need to use any fuel from your jerry cans?

As a guess, what do you think the distance is between the Tashanta border crossing, and UB ?

There is a whiff of consideration to see if one can get into Inner Mongolia, (which is really China) and onto Hohot, (Inner Mongolia capital) via Sainshands to Erenhot, the Mongolia and Inner Mongolia border town.
I have read all the info about entry resrtictions but any way, thats another topic.

Thanks once again, and appreciation for the photos.

Gra.

Can't advise about the route, but as for Green cards and visa's when we went to Russia this year we only needed a visa for Russia. Ukraine did not need one.

Also out motorbike insureres gave us a green card which covered Russia, Ukraine and all of EU. This had just been agreed by the insurance companies before we left so was a nice and easy one. Check with your insurers as if they cover you it's a much better option than the piece of paper you buy in Russia...

Yes there are fewer petrol stations than normal south of Gorno-Altaysk, however there is no need to rely on jerry cans. Just don't drive until your low fuel light comes on. In fact you don't need to rely on jerry cans in Mongolia either as pretty much every village has petrol, and every town has diesel and petrol. That does not mean that you should not take any of course.

The route we took from Tashanta to Ulaanbaatar was about 2000km give or take 100km, almost all of it on unpaved roads.

When I went foreigners could only enter and leave Mongolia with a foreign car at 3 border crossings, Tashanta and Altanbulag in the north and Erenhot in the south so you would imagine it is still possible to enter China via Ernhot. Charlie and Nina went that way http://www.nojobwilltravel.co.uk/

excellent write up, congrats.
i am jealous.
that and a cute co-pilot :cool: to boot.
i have linked this on a couple mailing lists, it is worth the read.
:clap:

I'm glad you like it :thumbup: Took me a while to write during the trip and a good few hours of editing it into a single post...

I wish Halina and I could take 2 months off work and do something like this again...

Two months... Is that all you'd wish for buddy :lol:

Now where'd that lotto ticket get to??? :whistle:

One day...

:cool:

I wish I could afford more than 2 months... besides its long to do a significant Africa trip :mrgreen:

Spent an hour reading your journal and watching the clips, fantastic well done great write up wish I could do a trip like this one day...... :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

I have only just seem how many views this trip report has, well over 3500! :shock:

Hi rob
just stumbled on your mongolian trip report,What an adventure! brings backs memories for me as i did this trip with the mongol rally in 2007 using an old 1988 nissan sunny that had been sat on my driveway for couple of years, it was def. an adventure of a lifetime(well first of many i hope).
It was after this that i made up my mind that overlanding was my cup of tea,so i went out bought myself an 80,now all i need is to convince misus that it's not that bad sleeping in a roof tent.
2 things that really stick out for me on my trip were 1 i prefered sleeping on the ground in the middle of nowhere rather than most of the russian and all of the mongolian outback hotels.(we didn't have any kinda tent) 2 whenever i needed a bathroom i always went alfresco rather than hole in ground kinda dunnies.
hoping to do this trip again one day with the misus
ram

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I think entering Mongolia via the M52 at the Tashanta border crossing, is by far the better option.

When you turned off the M51, and headed south on the M52 towards Tashanta, I have read that the border crossing there is not difficult, is that possibly your opinion?

Gorno-Altaysk looks to be about the half way point between Novosibirsk and the Tashanta border crossing, is this where you mean the fuel stations are a little thin on the ground?
I guess a tank range of about 500km, so did you need to use any fuel from your jerry cans?

As a guess, what do you think the distance is between the Tashanta border crossing, and UB ?

There is a whiff of consideration to see if one can get into Inner Mongolia, (which is really China) and onto Hohot, (Inner Mongolia capital) via Sainshands to Erenhot, the Mongolia and Inner Mongolia border town.
I have read all the info about entry resrtictions but any way, thats another topic.

Thanks once again, and appreciation for the photos.

Gra.

some corrections.

1: Hohot >> Huh hot /mongolian pronunciation, mean blue city /
2: Sainshands >> Sainshand. without *s*
3: Sainshand is not border town.
4: Mongolian southern border town is Zamiin Uud.
5: Erenhot >> Ereen hot. /mongolian pronunciation, mean colorful city /
6: Ereenhot >> Erlian /official Chinese name/
7: M52 Tsagaannurr /Tashanta* to Ulaanbaatar distance: 2000-2300km. it's depends on which road you choose.

welcome to Mongolia.

sorry my bad English.

Hi Ganbayer,

Thanks for the corrections.
If this all works out as planned, we plan to drive from Shandong prov. to Zhangjiakou, Hebei Prov.
Driving out of Zhangjiakou on G110 towards Ulanqab, where it becomes the G208 towards Zamiin Uud, Inner Mongolia

So Erenhot (Ereen Hot) is the exit town from Inner Mongolia (China), and Zamiin Uud is the entry town into Outer Mongolia ?

When we depart China, I don't know if to depart via Ulanqab, or need to drive more East to Hohhot then depart to Inner Mongolia.

Please continue your suggestions.

Gra.

Hi Ganbayer,

Thanks for the corrections.
If this all works out as planned, we plan to drive from Shandong prov. to Zhangjiakou, Hebei Prov.
Driving out of Zhangjiakou on G110 towards Ulanqab, where it becomes the G208 towards Zamiin Uud, Inner Mongolia

So Erenhot (Ereen Hot) is the exit town from Inner Mongolia (China), and Zamiin Uud is the entry town into Outer Mongolia ?

When we depart China, I don't know if to depart via Ulanqab, or need to drive more East to Hohhot then depart to Inner Mongolia.

Please continue your suggestions.

Gra.

Q: So Erenhot (Ereen Hot) is the exit town from Inner Mongolia (China), and Zamiin Uud is the entry town into Outer Mongolia ?
A: Yes. Never say and write like a Outer Mongolia.

there is no *Outer Mongolia* in the world. just Mongolia is valid and United nations' member.
Inner Mongolia is just name for the one province of china.

Q: When we depart China, I don't know if to depart via Ulanqab, or need to drive more East to Hohhot then depart to Inner Mongolia.
A: You have to go more east.

Zhangjiakou
it's mongolian historical memorial land. 1850-1921 years. Mongolian patriot Chin Van Handdorj said his well-known speeches.

i think, your plan is interesting, because those lands are all historical memorial lands. Chinggis Haan and his successors.

Back