Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

To Replace alternator or not

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
I ‘ve been having some minor electrical problems which is believed to be narrowed down to the voltage regulator.

Toyota want £147 + vat for just the regulator seen copies on eBay for about £30ish

Question is, as I have to take most of the front end apart do I replace the whole alternator? Is it worth “upgrading” or uprating whilst I am there? Vehicle has 147k miles on it?

Guess it’s worth doing the belt whilst I am there too

Should I stick with Toyota parts or is there a suitable alternative...

I ‘ve been having some minor electrical problems which is believed to be narrowed down to the voltage regulator.

Toyota want £147 + vat for just the regulator seen copies on eBay for about £30ish

Question is, as I have to take most of the front end apart do I replace the whole alternator? Is it worth “upgrading” or uprating whilst I am there? Vehicle has 147k miles on it?

Guess it’s worth doing the belt whilst I am there too

Should I stick with Toyota parts or is there a suitable alternative...
Hi
Sounds a bit expensive for a regulator as you can get a complete alternater for about £117, I don't know what your old one is rated at but this rated at 120 Amps

Cheers Steve was that from Milner? If so that’s what I am looking at replacing it with. Plus belts about £130.

Also check that it’s a genuine Denso unit. It does sound very cheap for a replacement. If you want a good unit with good warranty talk to Mike at Robson and Francis. 0207 733 2353

"Take most of the front end apart"?
Easiest way is to remove the two wind pipes, undo the 4 bolts of the AC-compressor an swing it out of the way (without undoing the AC-pipes). If you want more space, you can use another minute on removing the air filter box.
Either service the old one with genuine parts, or get a new one and service the old as a spare. You'll need it in only 10-15 years.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Also check that it’s a genuine Denso unit. It does sound very cheap for a replacement. If you want a good unit with good warranty talk to Mike at Robson and Francis. 0207 733 2353
The Denso unit comes out at 80amps. Other sites have listed 2 options for the 1HD. 80a for non electric seats and 120a with electric seats. I do have the seats so would appear the Denso is not suitable.

Spoke with Toyota.
I do need the 120a unit which is slighter cheaper than the 80a (strange). They also priced the wrong voltage regulator.
Correct vr =176.23
Complete alternator including vr = 261.28
All prices inc vat.
So the Millers is >50% cheaper. Too good to be true?

I have bought a lot of kit from Milner. Some of it is really good and some not so. I do talk to them a great deal and I am honest with them. Two things I would not have again from them are starter motors and alternators. Maybe it's just bad luck following me, but both have been nothing short of rubbish. One lasted a week before it boiled my batteries.
There are companies out there who will rebuild alternators.
I recently bought a new voltage thingy as a spare for my 120 amp alternator and it was £26 delivered by the people who supplied my alternator several years ago. Top lads.

http://www.startermotor-alternator-store.co.uk/

As will Robson and Francis. Refurbs are their business, big time, and they know what doesn’t give trouble and what to avoid.

I have bought a lot of kit from Milner. Some of it is really good and some not so. I do talk to them a great deal and I am honest with them. Two things I would not have again from them are starter motors and alternators. Maybe it's just bad luck following me, but both have been nothing short of rubbish. One lasted a week before it boiled my batteries.
There are companies out there who will rebuild alternators.
I recently bought a new voltage thingy as a spare for my 120 amp alternator and it was £26 delivered by the people who supplied my alternator several years ago. Top lads.

http://www.startermotor-alternator-store.co.uk/
Cheers Chris. New alternator purchased and on its way.

Back