Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Took the 80 to Krown

David

Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well not a good day at all,
So I gets there after sitting in the Birmingham traffic for ever, Rob puts it on the ramp took a rear light cluster out dropped the spare wheel and removed an indicator front lens. Only to say this is about the worse 80 he has seen for body rust , yet most of the areas you can see she looks just fine.
So on his advice he did not do the job as unless I'm going to spend a fortune on welding and I won't be doing that, way out of my skill level. Just goes to show what rubbish a MOT is as no mention of corrosion at all and never has been it it's history.
So what to do now I have no idea yet
Not in the best of moods tbh but you live and learn I surrpose

Well not a good day at all,
So I gets there after sitting in the Birmingham traffic for ever, Rob puts it on the ramp took a rear light cluster out dropped the spare wheel and removed an indicator front lens. Only to say this is about the worse 80 he has seen for body rust , yet most of the areas you can see she looks just fine.
So on his advice he did not do the job as unless I'm going to spend a fortune on welding and I won't be doing that, way out of my skill level. Just goes to show what rubbish a MOT is as no mention of corrosion at all and never has been it it's history.
So what to do now I have no idea yet
Not in the best of moods tbh but you live and learn I surrpose
I have a good guy just outside wisbech who performs miracles with rusty trucks for not that much cash. If you decide to go the repair route let me know. I'll happily introduce you. He does all my work so can vouch for him personally.

I think we could all do with the trip there Gav. Could we make it like Lincomb trip? Has he got a car park we can camp in whilst he welds up wings?

Should have told him to do it anyway mate , your looking to use it not sell it on and the Krown is supposed to stop rust in its tracks , so if its mot worthy now it should stay that way for much longer once coated .

Can't blame Rob for feeling it might be a bad advertisement for the Krown but if it extends the trucks life ...........

Shayne
Rob told me that if he applied the product it could actually make it worse, as the Krown eats into the rust it makes it thinner and more holes appear. This is just what happened to a car he owned

Hmmm can't see how it has an acidic reaction to metal when it doesn't bother paint so with the vid above in mind i would assume it leaks under the flaking rust making it fall off which i suppose would reveal holes in bodywork .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hmmm can't see how it has an acidic reaction to metal when it doesn't bother paint so with the vid above in mind i would assume it leaks under the flaking rust making it fall off which i suppose would reveal holes in bodywork .
yep that is just what he said

I think we could all do with the trip there Gav. Could we make it like Lincomb trip? Has he got a car park we can camp in whilst he welds up wings?
Well he works from an old bus yard so I'm guessing he has the room. On a serious note if anyone does want to make the trip over I'm happy to help arrange it.

I've never really been a fan of applying any products on top of rust. Over the 20 years of protecting my truck, I did it once with a "rust proof" product and it did indeed accelerate the rust. I think it helped trap moisture underneath.

Krown won't trap the moisture in as it gets under it and the rust, I agree a paint on sort of stuff is going to do that

I've found similar when i stripped my 90 Beau , not sure if it was original Toyota or added by someone later but the thicker the tar like layer on my fuel tank the more rusty it would be underneath .

That's why i like the Krown it hides nothing because its clear , i think of it as concentrated wd40 , sticky as glue if you get it on paintwork but you wouldn't know it had been done underneath . If air cant touch the metal then the chemical process of rusting is denied , and it never exactly dries so if a stone chips the frame seepage will eventually fill the chip with an air tight seal .

Never good to find out its worse than expected but better the devil you know - and if you do get it sorted then its a vehicle for life !

Ive heard about this Krown but never looked into what it does or costs etc

Not a clue what I’m going to do with it tbh l personally don’t think it’s good enough to be a keeper
Maybe I should have brought the petrol one @Trevor has I did think about it but hey ho

You should post some pictures if possible. What one person may deem as terrible rot, might not be so bad to someone else and maybe it's more repairable than you think. Is this area structural?

Sorry to hear your misfortune with the 80 that you bought David. It's a very tough pill to swallow so to say!

Had a similar experience with the one I bought recently but I had to take some time to think it over and come to terms with the fact that it needs quite a substantial amount more work than expected than when I saw the pictures and bought it.

I've noticed with the chassis on a poor old 80 is that the body mounts in the rear rust out, to check the cross member that runs inline with the rear panard mount, this gets very thin and the rear cross member inner gets thin too. Front inner and outer wings go without saying.

Going back 14 years or so when I was dreaming of building a 60 and seeing the rust work that was involved and skipping forward to now the 80 shows a similar predicament.. In a little bit more time it will be "If you want an 80, it will need to be built! Unless you're lucky.

Keep with it but it can be a very long road... good luck with it mate!

Back