Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

top mount intercooler diy 1hd-ft

dellboykev

Country Flag
england
over the last week i have been trying to fit an intercooler in the landcruiser on the cheap and after a lot of searching on the internet for other people who have done it i couldn't find very much so im going to put some pictures up to maybe give some of you lot some inspiration
first i made my own intake from this
IMG_2167.JPG
to this, it is stainless because i only have a mig welder i used a piece of 1.5mm 90 degree bend and some 2mm stainless plate the flange is mild steel it was all i had lying around i copied loosely off the hpd one http://hpdiesel.com.au/toyota-landc...ndcruiser-80-series-top-mount-intercooler-kit
IMG_2169.JPG
originally i wanted to use the piece between the turbo and intake heater it fits the manifold but sits too high it might be ok for a front mounted intercooler
IMG_2172.JPG
if you cant weld you could buy an adaptor and use a 90 degree bend http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122086092434?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
IMG_2179.JPG
if i was to make another one i would angle is so it sat slightly lower
IMG_2178.JPG
next was to test fit the intercooler i found one similar to the hpd one for less than £80 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121015673468?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
IMG_2180.JPG
next was to cut the bonnet supports in preparation for the scoop and to make a little more room i am going to fit a scoop off an isuzu trooper
IMG_2189.JPG
i used a 1mm cutting disc and im going to use the same to cut the bonnet making sure i cover the windscreen from sparks
IMG_2190.JPG
there is just enough room under the bonnet for the cooler i will have to relocate the washers for the scoop
IMG_2194.JPG
next a bit of plumbing i made my own swageing tool
IMG_2198.JPG
then fitting the hoses i used a 2" th 2.5" 45 degree bend from the turbo then 2.5" 135 degree to the intercooler then 2 90 degrees from the intercooler to the manifold and two small pieces of alloy 2.5" pipe to connect them together
IMG_2199.JPG
IMG_2200.JPG
IMG_2201.JPG
there is plenty of room under one side for a 9" fan
IMG_2203.JPG
IMG_2204.JPG
IMG_2205.JPG
now i just need to mount it properly at the moment it is held with the hoses and a couple of cable ties then i need to cut the bonnet and fit the scoop then i need to buy a fan http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131694123362?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT after that i need to adjust the pump and boost i dont think i have done too bad for around £250 if any one has any advice please comment particularly about adjusting the boost and pump an one more picture of last weeks battle scar
IMG_2124.JPG

Very good.

fit a boost and egt gauge to tweak fuel and boost settings. I have a boost controller in the engine bay to make adjustments easy. You dont want go over 15 psi with the ct26 really. Your max egts are about 1300f. Get the boost up to 15 psi and turn the fuel up. Study your egts before you fit your intercooler so you can see how much it reduces your egts. Its simple, the lower you can get your egts the more fuel you can fire in and the more power you will get.

try and get a spal brand fan, that's what came with my top mount, they move a huge amount of air. Compare CFM airflow to the one your looking at. After you increase the boost and fuel, increase the tension on the boost compensator spring. I like your swaging tool idea :)

Like this, well done. Watching with interest.

I had no luck getting a seal using jubilee clips and replaced them with these
jubilee-clips.jpg

They look better too ;)

Been thinking long & hard too for a long time Delboykev regarding a cheap intercooler for the 1HD-T Motor.
Good kits range from around £1000 plus so an homemade solution is always of interest.
Look forward to seeing how you get on.

Thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I bought a load of those hose clamps when I ordered the hose but they are the wrong size so I'm sending them back then I will replace my jubilee clips I have swayed all the pipe to stop it blowing off (a problem I had with a defender years ago) I will look in to getting a spal fan but the budget is very limited I should be getting the scoop today I'm not looking forward to cutting the bonnet

Top job DBK! A good reference point for people to take note of.

Great technique for the pipe swaying. Looking forward in seeing the end result with the bonnet scoop.

I bought a load of those hose clamps when I ordered the hose but they are the wrong size so I'm sending them back then I will replace my jubilee clips I have swayed all the pipe to stop it blowing off (a problem I had with a defender years ago) I will look in to getting a spal fan but the budget is very limited I should be getting the scoop today I'm not looking forward to cutting the bonnet

I would dread cutting the bonnet too dellboykev when I feel it would lessen the regality of the hood / bonnet hence why i'm working on having a front mount.

I got the scoop today im going to fit it at the weekend, i have already cut the bracing off the bonnet and it doesn't feel any less rigid maybe that will change when i cut a whopping great hole in it can someone with an intercooler tell me what they did with the vacuum hoses and egr sensors attached to the crossover pipe
IMG_2211.JPG
not bad for £20 better than anything i could find on ebay and it bolts to the bonnet not just stuck on with silicone
IMG_2212.JPG
I will no longer be calling it a bonnet scoop from now on it is a power bulge.
I have took the car for a spin and it is much more noticeable when the boost kicks in at around 1900 rpm im going to order an ebay special boost control valve i have a cheepo boost gauge that im just going to use to set it up then im going to readjust the off boost compensater then the main fuel screw i alredy have an egt sensor in the egr blanking plate the max exhaust gas temp i have had before the intercooler was 550c, that was going up hill for miles and me trying to see how hot i could get it with my foot planted

If you can afford or justify the extra cost then a front mount is the way to go, not only for appearance if that's important to you but for better IC efficiency and performance. JMO

i agree towpack but this setup should have less lag the pipes are easier to fit and im not sure a front mount would fit with the winch and could get covered in mud and clogged i think when i fit a fan i should get good air flow and minimal heat absorption from the engine plus i quite look the look of the power bulge :sunglasses:

If you can afford or justify the extra cost then a front mount is the way to go, not only for appearance if that's important to you but for better IC efficiency and performance. JMO

There has been considerable debate about this issue on ih8mud for years with a huge thread dedicated to intercoolers with lots of data in terms of before and after testing, EGTs, AFRs etc.... IIRC hard data does not support a front mount necessarily being more efficient.

got the power bulge fitted i will need to take it off again paint it and put it back on with a bead of silicone around the edge before butting the bonnet liner back on. the scoop sits just forward of the washer jets so i didnt have to move them
IMG_2229.JPG
IMG_2214.JPG
IMG_2215.JPG
IMG_2216.JPG

Looks great well done. I like the subtle look really compliments the car without looking outta place.
Look forward to hear the performance gains you get.

Thanks

Nice little job, however you might want to check with some wool tufts that its letting air out not in. That region of the bonnet is a low pressure zone, it would not surprise me at all if your intercooler is in fact an interheater - currently.

Turning your vent round the other way might be more effective

Tuff testing will prove either way

i have read that the bonnet is a low pressure zone so i am going to fit a 10" fan under it that will kick in at 50c that should also keep it working off road

I like you remembered to cover your windscreen before grinding (my garage is a lean to onto the house, it used to have a glass door - its more like a rust opaque now!). .

I have egt and boost fitted, I am still running in my new gears so Ive been watching all instruments - yesterday 2400 60mph, between 160°c (flat road) and 300°c (reasonable long incline) - Im toying with copying you with a top mount cooler - how easy / difficult is it to tweak the pumps on the 1Hd-t (diesel tuning is something I have never done).

Back