Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Torque Converter Lockup

Andy Harvey

Well my 100 series now has the dreaded torque converter problem although only when the transmission fluid is cold. When you slow down for a junction or roundabout it's like driving a manual and forgetting to dip the clutch, feels like it is going to stall. My question is, do you think it's needed to have the auto box reconditioned as well (the truck has 202K miles on it now) or whether just have the TC and washer replaced. Up until this happened the Transmission fluid was clean as a whistle, now it has some black residue in it (but only a bit of streaking, the fluid is clean and looks like new apart from this and smells good. I'm thinking just do the TC and washer and hope for the best on the box - my old 80 series was still going strong at 250K miles with the original box.

Any suggestions / opinions gratefully received. I'm not going to do it myself as I've changed an auto box once on another vehicle and it wasn't fun plus I have a few other jobs that I can do myself - Diff lock actuator, trailing arms, engine service etc which will take more than enough of my time.

Well my 100 series now has the dreaded torque converter problem although only when the transmission fluid is cold. When you slow down for a junction or roundabout it's like driving a manual and forgetting to dip the clutch, feels like it is going to stall. My question is, do you think it's needed to have the auto box reconditioned as well (the truck has 202K miles on it now) or whether just have the TC and washer replaced. Up until this happened the Transmission fluid was clean as a whistle, now it has some black residue in it (but only a bit of streaking, the fluid is clean and looks like new apart from this and smells good. I'm thinking just do the TC and washer and hope for the best on the box - my old 80 series was still going strong at 250K miles with the original box.

Any suggestions / opinions gratefully received. I'm not going to do it myself as I've changed an auto box once on another vehicle and it wasn't fun plus I have a few other jobs that I can do myself - Diff lock actuator, trailing arms, engine service etc which will take more than enough of my time.
According to what i've read, and experience with my 2001, it would be ok to just change or fix the TC, as long as the box is working ok. There is a chance that the washer will disintegrate and be distributed throughout the box and get stuck in different valves, so, the sooner the better.

To lower the box and pull out the TC isn't hard. It is a bit of work though, to get all the bolts out (with)in the available space (Xfer, box-engine, flywheel-TC).

Thanks uHu.

It's going into to Overland Cruisers next week for TC replacement. I did think as much but wanted other opinions as the Auto Box does seem fine apart from the Lockup not releasing when the box is cold. I decided against it as while I have done an Auto box & TC before (TH350 in my old Camaro) it was a long time ago and at the time I had two vehicles so if it took longer than I thought then I wasn't grounded. Plus I was a lot younger then - guess I'm getting a bit chicken in my old age. Plus I do have enough to keep me going when I get it back. I have to admit to being a bit lax on fixing things over the past couple of years (family health etc) apart from engine oil and filter changes which I'm always religious about doing.

All sorted now by the esteemed Julian at Overland Cruisers, new upgraded TC and drives nicely again now.

Back