Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tow/recovery

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
Anyone fitted this type of shackle tow/recovery point to there 100 series?

I currently have a normal ball style and was going to change it to a ball and pin 5.5t so I had tow and recovery. Maybe I am not searching for the right thing but I am struggling to find the female side suitable for the 100 series.

Keen to here pros and cons?

E2025044-3DBC-4B97-A9A0-222F90E139F5.jpeg

OK, let's get the only con I can think of out of the way. The 2" type hitch is not type approved for on road towing in the UK so not strictly legal. Other than that it's a very versatile system and used widely in other countries so obviously well up to any towing situation when fitted correctly. The mounts for the female end would have to be very substantial for recovery use, more so than for just towing trailers etc.

Called a ‘receiver hitch’ if that helps. It may be that a fabricated setup may be what’s needed rather than a 100 series, off the peg tow bar. You may struggle to find the latter.

ive run a ball and pin type for years. the pin is great for lifting up and dropping through the loop of a tow strap.
its also good for attaching agri impliments to..:icon-eek:

@chapel gate, yeah ball and pin was going to be my solution till I saw the hitch type. Think I will be reverting back to that.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@chapel gate, yeah ball and pin was going to be my solution till I saw the hitch type. Think I will be reverting back to that.

I’m not sure what you mean by the above quote HMG...

Please don’t be tempted to use a tow ball for recovery, the ball and pin type with a ‘jaw’ is ok, but towing balls are prone to shearing off and killing folks in range.

I guess you know this already, just sayin’ :thumbup:

I’m not sure what you mean by the above quote HMG...

Please don’t be tempted to use a tow ball for recovery, the ball and pin type with a ‘jaw’ is ok, but towing balls are prone to shearing off and killing folks in range.

I guess you know this already, just sayin’ :thumbup:
I think this is mainly the US style threaded balls that bolt down through a receiver style bracket.
4C4772D3-95B0-4FC6-BA2C-1FD3440965A9.jpeg

Our (UK) forged ones are far stronger as they are one piece and bolt on with two heavy bolts.
A2111B06-F0C0-4921-B843-15EBD4A5427C.jpeg

Last edited:
I was thinking of this type as being safer to shackle to the pin, it’s called a Sankey, I think...

I think Sankey looks like a 4 hole military style fixing. There’s others named Dixon Bate.

This one looks more compact.
C2752AEB-4AFE-4ECF-8DA1-BCBD40247FC0.jpeg

And it’s ‘EU approved’ so it must be good!! :shifty:

Back