Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Towbar removal question

Andrew Prince

I have been removing my standard towbar in preparation for the fitment of a receiver bar. The various bolts have been fun to get off so far - years of salt and mud in an exposed position and you can guess the rest. The bolts on the chassis were a combination of captive nuts and normal nuts - getting access to the nuts inside the chassis rails were fun too :roll: the N/S chassis rail had captive nuts for all 3 bolts whereas the O/S had 1 captive and 2 normal/loose nuts.. Is this normal?

Anyway, my question is a bit more dull - is there an easy way of disconnecting the towing electrics? Without simply cutting the cable :naughty: I traced the cable back into the body behind the O/S rear wheel but it then disappears up the pillar without any plugs or connectors. I do not want to fiddle around disconnecting the individual wires in the back of the plug next to the towball if at all possible - very finicky connecting them all up again and there is plenty of Lincomb mud clogging the plug up. The plug is mounted on a rusty & bent plate clamped between the towball and drop-plate - no easy way that I can see of separating the plug from the towbar...

Advice and suggestions please!

Cheers,

my wiring was plugged into a spare plug in the loom in behind the nearside rear panel / light, I just unplugged it!

Did your cable feed down through the N/S sill and on to the towbar then, Andy? I am wondering whether the cable on the O/S on mine feeds over to the N/S via the roof over the upper boot door :think: But feeding a connector plug back via the roof etc might be a challenge. The wiring on mine "looks" OEM but perhaps was the work of an aftermarket outfit and is thus unique?

As far as I can remember it came out behind the ns rear wheel at the bottom through a 'grommeted' hole, definately a toyota plug on the end and def nearside

Why can't you just unbolt the drop plate it's clamped by and it will be free then :mrgreen: To get it off the plate, in the past I have undone the little bolts holding the socket to the plate so I could seperate them and then cut through the plate to the hole in the middle and bent it enough to slip the wire through.

Jon Wildsmith said:
Why can't you just unbolt the drop plate it's clamped by and it will be free then :mrgreen:
Cos the plate is bent and rusty - alot of work to free up a piece of scrap :? Them's big bolts holding it on and the threads are corroded :violin:

Jon Wildsmith said:
To get it off the plate, in the past I have undone the little bolts holding the socket to the plate so I could seperate them and then cut through the plate to the hole in the middle and bent it enough to slip the wire through.
I am thinking this might be my best option - I was hoping there'd be an easier solution first, like a nice neat plug to unclip... Looking at the little bolts, they look good candidates for snapping, not that that would be a disaster. I need to get a new electrics mounting plate for the receiver bar, so it's simply a case of getting the plug and cable off intact.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ended up snapping 2 of the 3 little bolts holding the plug on but the got the plug off, cut a slot in the mounting plate and got the cable off :D The old towbar is now decorating the front lawn!

I managed to "free" off a couple of the captive nuts on the cross-member... Wondering if I should strip the rest of the bumper and spotweld the nuts back on or simply use new hex nuts. I guess either way, I am stripping down the rest of the bumper because there isn't much access to hold new nuts securely while I wolt the towbar on :(

What seemed like a simple job has been one of the biggest b@llaches I've had on my 80. Fortunately everything that snapped was fairly accessible.

Pretty good chance more bolts will snap taking the bumper corners off but it would make it much easier to put the new bar on. I used a strip of steel drilled oversize with nuts tack welded one side and slide it into the chassis rail.

"I used a strip of steel drilled oversize with nuts tack welded one side and slide it into the chassis rail."

now thats cunning!

had right pain trying to do same thing a few years ago on the 4runner.
nuts glued and blu-tacked into ring spanner etc as they kept falling out trying to get them in place

but your solution much more elegant

Back