Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota Amazon recall

Steve Wright

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi Lads

I have just read on another forum, that Toyota is recalling some Amazon's 2002-2006 for a steering problem, he
put a link on a newspaper, but the page must have refreshed and no mention of this.

Has any one heard this ?

Steve

not heard anything about that Steve but havign an older one I don't tend to expect much in the way of recalls! Let us know if you find out any more in case someone we know might be affected.

Jon Wildsmith said:
not heard anything about that Steve but havign an older one I don't tend to expect much in the way of recalls! Let us know if you find out any more in case someone we know might be affected.

Hi Jon

Apparently it only affects Petrol motors and not diesel's but what that has to do with steering !

Steve

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Models of the LC100 with rack and pinion and Skid Control (VSC) came with VGRS from August 2002, in Europe and Oz (and probably the US). I.e only the uzj100L & uzj100R VX grade.
In Oz, it came on the HDJ100 VX from May 2005.

To find out if you have VGRS, test number of turns from lock to lock. At low speeds it is 2.4 for vgrs and 3.3 for non vgrs. (At high speeds it is 3.5 with vgrs, but that's harder to test). I.e. the gear ratio is 17.3 w/o vgrs and 12.4 to 18 with vgrs, and even lower than 12.4 when skid control is interfering.

The VGRS is actually an actuator with a dc motor on the steering wheel shaft. This actuator will work "with you" or "against you" as you turn the wheel, depending on vehicle speed and VSC input.

Steve Wright said:
[quote="Andy Harvey":1ydylq3a]Power Steering Pump is different I guess.

Sorry Andy, cannot resist:

Why ! Does it run off Petrol?

Steve[/quote:1ydylq3a]

No but the pump is fitted into the front plate of the engine on the diesel - not sure on the petrol. Have to admire that you couldn't resisit it though :D :D

Back