Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota mechanic in Fareham

Bert

Country Flag
great_britain
Hello folks.
I'm sure I read in a post somewhere that there's a Toyota mechanic who's mobile number was listed, I could do with his services. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?
Recently flushed my rad and coolant system and it must have knocked something loose. I now have a leak from around the water pump. Assistance is urgently required.
Can anyone help?
Cheers, Simon

Hi Simon
You could try Mark at MJ Motorsport on 02392 632933 he looks after a couple of my customers Landcruisers (even got my 80 through an mot a couple of years ago) or try Barry, the guy I pm'd you about for the Russian truck. (How's that going by the way?)

Hi Simon
You could try Mark at MJ Motorsport on 02392 632933 he looks after a couple of my customers Landcruisers (even got my 80 through an mot a couple of years ago) or try Barry, the guy I pm'd you about for the Russian truck. (How's that going by the way?)
Hello Ian. Thanks for the info, though I may have a go myself now. I was a bit phased earlier. I'm planning on replacing the pump just to be sure with one from RoughTrax, and while I'm at it I just as well replace the radiator with one I bought from RTrax last year but haven't got around to it till now. Two birds etc. I have to get it done asap though as I'm off camping next weekend for four days, then in August were trying our luck in the Pyrenees. Want to be sure she's good for it. If I chicken out between now and tomorrow though, I may call Mark anyway, time is pressing!
're my mate, he tried to contact me the other day apparently, but my phone was broken (been two weeks without a mobile, it's been refreshing). He's only recently returned from Europe. Last time I saw the truck, she was knee deep in tall grass. I have passed on Barry's number, I'll check with my friend to see where he's at.
Cheers again Ian

Hi Simon
Hello Ian. I've tried calling Mark but the number is not recognised. It's the same number listed on the company website. Do you have any other way of contacting him?
Cheers,
Simon

I have done a bit of digging and it appears that Mark's business has changed. He is still doing motors but has a change of business name. No further details as yet. It has been recommended that Barry is probably your best bet. Probably best to give him a ring.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I have done a bit of digging and it appears that Mark's business has changed. He is still doing motors but has a change of business name. No further details as yet. It has been recommended that Barry is probably your best bet. Probably best to give him a ring.
Hello Ian. Due to time constraints I've ended up going to these guys, apparently they are all Toyota mechanics: http://www.harringtonautos.co.uk
Ah The problems of cleaning stuff. Still, it's better to find out there's a leaky gasket here and now rather than half way up the Pyrenees!
Thanks for your help again Ian.
Cheers, Simon

Hello Ian. Due to time constraints I've ended up going to these guys, apparently they are all Toyota mechanics: http://www.harringtonautos.co.uk
Ah The problems of cleaning stuff. Still, it's better to find out there's a leaky gasket here and now rather than half way up the Pyrenees!
Thanks for your help again Ian.
Cheers, Simon
Will be interested on hearing about your experience with these guys, quality of workmanship, costs and so on, are they just basic Toyo mechanics (Yaris services) and do they have experience of 4x4 work?

Will be interested on hearing about your experience with these guys, quality of workmanship, costs and so on, are they just basic Toyo mechanics (Yaris services) and do they have experience of 4x4 work?
I shall let you know Chas. Just dropped it off now and all I can see is a big space in the garden where it should be. A little nervous about it to be honest......

I shall let you know Chas. Just dropped it off now and all I can see is a big space in the garden where it should be. A little nervous about it to be honest......
I'd be a bit nervous as well, taking it to an unknown even though recommended mechanic.

I'd be a bit nervous as well, taking it to an unknown even though recommended mechanic.
Hello Chas.
Well, I collected the Cruiser on the way home last night and these are my impressions of the place. It looks like a typical, back street, tired old garage. Peeling paint and a little run down. However the manager of the place, Steve Simmons, does inspire confidence. He was a Toyota mechanic from the '80's and has remained primarily dealing with Toyota's of any design, as well as all other vehicles. He seems to know Land Cruisers quite well and says that he gets them in from time to time. His son was also Toyota trained and now works there too.
I had the radiator changed (I supplied the radiator & thermostat, from RoughTrax, that I had purchased last year), the water pump and thermostat, both with genuine Toyota parts, and the coolant replenished with long life red.
The breakdown of costs for this lot is as follows:
Water Pump £151.74 (a little cheaper than a dealership quote of £164.51)
Anti Freeze Red £24.30
Remove & replace water pump £216.00
Remove & replace radiator £ 72.00
Remove & replace thermostat £57.00
Total £521.64

Personally, I don't think that was too bad, especially considering that the replacement pump tucks in behind the timing belt. He showed me all the parts that he removed and I'm glad that I had the work done. The water pump did look a little knackered and it's better to find out now rather than on our Pyrenees trip in August.
If I make it back without any issues with the cooling system, then I will call it good and fully endorse his garage.

Cheers,

Simon

Hello Chas.
Well, I collected the Cruiser on the way home last night and these are my impressions of the place. It looks like a typical, back street, tired old garage. Peeling paint and a little run down. However the manager of the place, Steve Simmons, does inspire confidence. He was a Toyota mechanic from the '80's and has remained primarily dealing with Toyota's of any design, as well as all other vehicles. He seems to know Land Cruisers quite well and says that he gets them in from time to time. His son was also Toyota trained and now works there too.
I had the radiator changed (I supplied the radiator & thermostat, from RoughTrax, that I had purchased last year), the water pump and thermostat, both with genuine Toyota parts, and the coolant replenished with long life red.
The breakdown of costs for this lot is as follows:
Water Pump £151.74 (a little cheaper than a dealership quote of £164.51)
Anti Freeze Red £24.30
Remove & replace water pump £216.00
Remove & replace radiator £ 72.00
Remove & replace thermostat £57.00
Total £521.64

Personally, I don't think that was too bad, especially considering that the replacement pump tucks in behind the timing belt. He showed me all the parts that he removed and I'm glad that I had the work done. The water pump did look a little knackered and it's better to find out now rather than on our Pyrenees trip in August.
If I make it back without any issues with the cooling system, then I will call it good and fully endorse his garage.

Cheers,

Simon
Thanks Simon, that sounds a promising place, does he seem to be the sort of bloke who would be OK with a social call to 'case' the joint? :lol:

Thanks Simon, that sounds a promising place, does he seem to be the sort of bloke who would be OK with a social call to 'case' the joint? :lol:
Hello Chas. I've texted him to see if he would mind...... will keep you posted. BTW, are you quite local to me as I remember you saying you may have seen me around Fareham a while back.....

Hello Chas. I've texted him to see if he would mind...... will keep you posted. BTW, are you quite local to me as I remember you saying you may have seen me around Fareham a while back.....
I'm in Morden, South London not really 'local' to Fareham. Maybe it was someone else who spotted you :think:

Back