Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Toyota Pink Coolant

Crispin

Administrator
Staff member
Guru
Country Flag
great_britain
I'm going to do a coolant change on the 120 soon so busy shopping for the pink stuff. My local Mr-T always gives me nice (15-50% depending..) discounts so going to try him first for a drum (or bulk) of 25L pink if the discounts are better.

The 120 takes 11.5L so a 50/50 split would result in a handy quantity for spare.

Any takers? I could get more if more wanted.

Crispin, the phrase 'more money than sense' springs to mind. Pink? Why?

OK it's for life they reckon. Yeah, until you get a leak, split a hose, have to change a water pump. With the way that we drive these things, you do expect issues with them. Next time I do my coolant, I'm going with local car parts product. Does red, pink etc COOL any better? Does it really last longer? Does it prevent corrosion better? Does the factory manual specify this. Err nope. It simply says glycol based coolant.

Your dollar my friend, but unless it comes in cheap as chips, I'd remind you at the story about the Emperor's new clothes.

Chris

because the clever people in Japan said so.

They used to have an Emporer :think:

I know I know. Wasn't being rude you know. But Chas is right. I just don't buy it. I know people who run their cars on tap water (no not in the fuel tank) and it's cools perfectly so it can't be something to do with thermal heat capacity. So corrosion protection? Doesn't stop corrosion from the outside though does it. Lubrication perhaps?

Just wanted to be a voice of sense. We all need it occasionally

Pink is good, because who told you, sorry? Toyota did? Ohhh, right. I'll drop my troos then.

Chris

So really, we need to know the onstituent or constituency of the expensive Toyota pink.
Then the same of a pink glycol.
Then the obvious comparison.

I know almost nothing about antifreeze, except some is different colours, pink and blue, and some is glycol, and some is alcohol based.

Is the colour the tell tale for the base, ?

Any way, interesting to know the truth.

G.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Crispin said:
I'm going to do a coolant change on the 120 soon so busy shopping for the pink stuff. My local Mr-T always gives me nice (15-50% depending..) discounts so going to try him first for a drum (or bulk) of 25L pink if the discounts are better.

The 120 takes 11.5L so a 50/50 split would result in a handy quantity for spare.

Any takers? I could get more if more wanted.

I need to do a coolant change, so would be interested in this. Let me know what sort of price you get pls.

There is a reasonable description of the coolant required for a 120 in the handbook. Can't recall it off-hand but it is a lot more onerous that just a glycol based coolant. Halfords do a version that is slightly cheaper than Toyo (but not by much) but there are others.

It's coming in at £24 for 5L if you wanted. They also do a drum of 208L :shock:

seeing as halfords is around 19-22 for "advanced" stuff, not half bad.

Crispin, that does seem a lot cheaper than when I asked. Can't recall the price but I do remember waking up in A&E on oxygen. Hence me comment yesterday. Now if they sell antifreeze / coolant, whatever the colour at that sort of price, I'd be tempted. Not because of magical properties, but because it's a decent price for coolant. I am sure that last time I bought Red it was more than that.

Chris

Guessing the part where I mentioned the discount was missed?

Sent from TapaTalk

No it wasn't. What you missed was the price :roll: . 15% discount off what? With the prices that I was quoted 50% discount wouldn't have got it even close. I am talking ridiculous prices - something mental like £15 per litre. They were actually embarrassed to tell me how much it was (for once). Point is that they didn't expect anyone to ever buy any. It's in there for life. Upgrading wasn't on their radar. So only time it would be installed would be at the factory.

Chris

I think when I bought 10l of red a few months back, it was around £38 all in. NO discount though :violin:

Andrew, that's about what I paid for red last time. And I mean FOR the LAST time. Next change it's getting something regular in it. If CP can get pink for less than red and close to motor factor prices for the usual swill then it's a bargain!

I think that something must have changed. They have a surplus or something and need to shift it pronto in bulk. Or maybe they quoted him per litre :lol: :lol:

C

Crispin said:
It's coming in at £24 for 5L if you wanted. They also do a drum of 208L :shock:
seeing as halfords is around 19-22 for "advanced" stuff, not half bad.
If you are getting a batch Crispin, I'll have 5L please :thumbup:

Chas, out of interest, what you gonna do with 5 litres? Have you already got pink in yours then?

Chris

Chris said:
Chas, out of interest, what you gonna do with 5 litres? Have you already got pink in yours then?
Chris
I was just going to put it on the shelf for top-ups. I think it's red in there at the moment, it never occured to me before but should they not be mixed? if they can't Crispin, you'd better cancel that order.

If there is enough interest I can ask about the red stuff as well?

Going to put in order tomorrow or Wednesday if anyone did want.

Back