Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Trail Camera recommendation

GeekOKent

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Looking for some recommendations on trail cameras that work ok, have some reasonable reaction time, and don't need a bazillion batteries that need swapping out every day. Ideally, also have reasonable optics and recordings.

After having half a cat left on front yard few months ago, four half eaten mice, over the same time, in the back 'garden' and odd markings on trees, I am keen to find out exactly who visits us at night. Today, I had a very fleshy leg of a muntjac deer about 10m inside the fence, right in the middle of where the kids play. Thankfully they are not squimish and just came to get me when they found 'it'.

I need to cover about half an acre of space, so was thinking of getting 4 'trail' cameras and putting two up at the far corners, where the action happens. One down, what I think, is the only way whatever it is can get in and one at the back door, looking outward.

Used one of these before ? Tell me what to buy or not to buy.

I have one, my B.I.L has about 6. Cheap ones are no longer rubbish. I have a £30 version and it's blooming brilliant. Here's some footage from one. I''l find the make and model later. This is dead of night catching eels (elvers) going upstream. Not best example but the other clips are like 55gig! Trust me the colour, reaction time, sound and everything is incredibly good.

thanks @Chris that may just be the ticket. Anything / everything i can find with lots of fair reviews is on the wrong side of £90. And i dont know what sort of a thing is going on, but they all look like they came off the same production line! regardless of make, model, age or cost.

I was staggered at the quality. I bought a £90 one some years back and it went in the bin. When BIL showed me the results from his, I got one immediately.

Ours is a Victure, Paid about 60 quid for it, had it 3 yrs now, Very easy to use, Good quality Videos, and Pictures.... I think you will find weather they are cheap or expensive they love eating Batteries...Depending on what mode you have it on, Some nights ours records nothing but The odd Moth or a leaf blowing about..

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Black Panther!! I would weld my doors at night. Be very interested at what can kill a cat. They are so quick and timid.

A fox will kill a cat easily. Our back garden backs on to some open fields and scrubland and there are always foxes roaming about. Urban foxes are probably more common than rural ones these days and you can often see them strutting around fully lit streets after dark. I've found cat remains in the long grass before. A small Muntjac would also be on the menu for an adult fox.

Wildlife cameras sound like what you want as it captures moving objects and not videos the whole of the night and then you will have to watch hours of moving trees and grass frustratingly peaceful

When we lived on the House Boat our Cat would regularly Duff up foxes, Iv seen it, One time i watched the cat Box the fox on its nose half a dozen times before the fox knew what hit it, When the Fox turned tail, The Cat ran after it swiping at its Arse end... Comical...

Till a few days ago, I actually suspected a psychopath neighbor more than anything else really.

Found a cheapish camera, should be here on Tuesday. Let's see how it goes.

Most Cats are killed by People, My Big old Tom Cat, When i lived in Denmark Would fight anything, He would regularly take on Foxes and the Neighbouring Dogs, One Night he never came home and was never seen again, Later i found out My Neighbour (who was a Drunk) Hated Cats, and would often Brag to others about his Cat Kills..... Some people hate Cats :confusion-shrug:

I've got a Browning wild life/trail cam .....
It can do video/stills/time lapse and probably loads more I haven't sussed yet ....
It can cover either a wide field view or a more targeted area and has various levels of sensitivity /trigger and also resolution etc.
Can recommend it .... but it wasn't cheap and uses rechargeable AA Bats ...
Be interesting what you see..... if it's a bigger feline just forget what you've seen and say nowt .

"You need a Browning machine gun."
Currently have 2 M2HB .50's ;-)

Sadly the nanny state we live in decree's they no longer can go bang :-(

I got a deal on a couple of GardePro A3 cameras locally off of eBay. Mini review : it's an ok thing. Interested in a longer review?

I put them out and ran it for a while, only seen fox's, cats and birds. Nothing more dramatic than that.

Back