Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transfer Box

hartnoll833

Country Flag
falkland_islands
Car came out of the garage today and have been told that the transfer box needs replacing which i suspected, the chain is slipping.

How much for a new one, and where could i get one from?

My car engine is KZJ95W, 1998 model Prado.

Is the part number used also in the Surf or Colorado also??

Knowing that the same transfer box is used in other vehicles will increase my chances in finding one, any help would me much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Lee

I have one from my old '96 SWB manual. Away until Monday but can check part numbers to see if they match when I get back

Hang on a minute . . . . .

I had an Auto '95 here a few times with "Transfer Box Problems", the owner thought that the Hi-Vo chain was slipping when he was off-roading on his In-Law's farm up in the Pentland Hills (Edinburgh).

I re-built his transfer box three times; the first time was necessary as it was a real mess inside - but the problem kept occurring.

The second and third strip-downs proved nothing, I couldn't find anything wrong.

The problem turned out to be the front hub splines which were stripped resulting in a nasty noise, a 'jump' and loss of drive. Locking the Centre Diff kept it running on the back axle.

I would check that out before condemning the Transfer Box.

As it happens I have two re-built transfer boxes for Manual 90s for sale. I have done a comprehensive job on them with bearings, chains, centre diff planet carriers as appropriate. The cost reflects the price of parts.

DSCN7785.JPG

The one on the left = £1,203.95

The one on the right = £978.17

Both Plus carriage (I guess that's a bit of a challenge to the Falkland Islands unless you have a friend in the RAF !).

If you are interested PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you the break-down of the parts I bought for each.

Best of luck.

Bob.

Did you get to the bottom of the Transfer Box problem ??

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back