Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transfer Boxes (90-Series, Manual Gearbox):

BobMurphy

Country Flag
scotland
As some of you may know, I rebuild 90-Series Transfer Boxes for forum members - I think I've done eight or nine to date.

They can take a while to complete, particularly if I'm trying to keep the cost down by going to Amayama for parts as they can take a month to arrive.

I have acquired a couple of TBs over the past year or so and have now re-built them, with no expense spared. They are available for "Exchange" if you are needing a TB in a hurry!

They are not cheap:

DSCN7778.jpg

DSCN7783.jpg

DSCN7784.jpg

DSCN7788.jpg

DSCN7786.jpg

Both have had their cases Bead-Blasted, cleaned-out and put through my Ultrasonic Cleaner.

The one on the left (black companion Flanges) has received the following:

New Centre Differential Planet Carrier
New Hi-Vo chain
All ball races
one of the needle roller races (the rest were fine)
Speedometer drive
Low Ratio Detector Switch (black cable)
Sump bash plate
New shiny bolts & nuts
All gaskets & seals

Parts, Postage, Import Duty & Handling charges have cost me . . £1,203.95 .

The one on the right (shiny Companion Flanges) has received:

All ball races
All needle roller races
A better Hi-Vo drive chain (from my spares, it hasn't had a lot of use)
Diff Lock Detector Switch (blue cable)
Low Ratio Detector Switch (black cable)
Front and rear Companion Flanges (shafts were too worn for the oil seals to work)
Transfer Lever Detent Spring
New shiny bolts & nuts
All gaskets & seals

Parts, Postage, Import Duty & Handling charges have cost me . . £978.17 .

I have a full list of all the parts, with part numbers and prices, for each.

This has been a labour of love and I'm making nothing out of it (just a small loss). If anyone needs a TB swap in a hurry these are available at the above prices plus courier costs and I'll buy your broken one from you (c. £200 or so).

I'm afraid I don't have one for an Auto box - yet. If someone knows of one lying around un-loved I'd be interested (they have the Selector Shafts sticking out of the front and the hole for the Transfer Lever Turret is blanked off, they also have an extra Low Ratio Detector Switch (green cable) that tells the Auto Box to alter the shift characteristics. They don't have Synchromesh on the High-Low transfer).

There, I'll throw it open and see if anyone is interested.

Bob.

Bob, nice work. Don't mean to go off topic, but do you know the part number for the chain in these?

@BobMurphy are you still looking for an auto transfer box to refurbish and sell on to other forum members should they need one?

Sharpy,

I've had a couple of people after TBs over the past three years but they would prefer to spend £350 on one from a Scrapper !

I've still got these 'manual' TBs sitting unwanted.

I'm not really looking for an 'Auto' as its an expensive labour of love and no-one seems to want them. I'll end-up making a huge loss on these to shift them !

What have you got, what's wrong with it and How Much ???

Yup, I'm a mug :doh: !

Bob.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Bob I've got a transfer box from my kzj95 automatic but I'm not sure there is anything wrong with it, me and my brother thought it was a transfer box issue so bought another one and fitted that but it turned out to be the front diff that had blown and the original transfer box is sitting in my garage gathering dust and I came across this thread and wondered if there was any call for refurbished transfer boxes hence my thread resurrection if it's something you'd be interested in then I'm happy to let it go but I'm not desperate to be rid of it

If you just want rid of it why not advertise it on this site.

I seem to have a bit of a reputation for fixing things, so if I bought it I wouldn't want to pass it on without checking it thoroughly first.

Then, while its apart I may as well replace all the bearings, the centre diff, the Hi-Vo chain . . . . . . . .

You get the picture.

But . . . You've got me curious now so how much (DOH!) ??

Bob.

Hi Bob as per your original post it's yours for £200

Sharpy,

You have a PM (called a 'Conversation' on this new Forum format :doh:).

Cheers.

Bob.

Back