Transformer overland camper

StarCruiser Oct 30, 2018

1. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    First things first… sorry! It’s a Land Rover! But please, bear with me. The design and time this thing takes to put up and pack away is amazing. Genius in fact. I do believe he’s thought of pretty much everything and kept it simple to use.

Now, if only it were done to a Landcruiser…
    KARL!! :)

Firewout likes this.
  2. karl webster

karl webster Land Cruiser Club sponsor Promoted Company Guru Land Cruiser Club Promoted Company

Map
    i spoke to a mate couple of years ago about this rich. i saw it on fb.

watch this space. there maybe a few changes happening next year

StarCruiser likes this.
  3. clivehorridge

clivehorridge Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in romania

Garage:
    Map
    That’s mad and brilliant at the same time :clap::clap::dance:

“We were motivated” I liked that...:thumbup:

4. Daniel_VDJ79

Daniel_VDJ79 New Member I am in chile

Map
    I like it, he definitely makes profit of every single inch of space....I also love Defenders.

5. Shayne

Shayne Well-Known Member Guru

Map
    Overly complicated and ridiculously heavy for not much gain i reckon , still claustrophobic as hell .

If i was gong to invest that much in it , without much thinking , the side would fold down to give me a full size bed under canvas and the kitchen would be mounted on the tailgate , again under canvas . Leaving the main body of the truck free to fit a fixed shower and a comfortable seating area .

Bravo to the guy though he knew what he wanted and made it happen , nobody can fault that :clap:

clivehorridge and Lorin like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Super Moderator Supporter I am in europe

Garage:
    Map
    I think I agree. It's a classic case of function over form. It's a fantastic example of something superbly done that I just wouldn't give house room to. Great ideas, but in some ways a complete compromise on everything.

Hats off to them though. I'm not saying I like suffering, but one of the reasons I travel in my 80 is because I like the outdoors. If I didn't I'd buy a caravan or a motor home. The only advantage that this really brings is when the weather is bad. At which point I stick the Foxwing up with the sides.

But again, well done to them for the innovation.

Michael Clark likes this.
  7. SteveJB

SteveJB Well-Known Member I am in uk

Map
    Mr Star and a few others wanted to lift there roof tents off could not his bed system not be used to the same effect would need a few small pulley blocks a fair bit of cable and a small atv winch agree with the complicated comments and it looks bloody heavy and with a kid growing up with them they will soon run out of space but as long as it suits them

clivehorridge likes this.
  8. Chas

Chas Well-Known Member I am in england

Garage:
    Map
    Are you taking orders Karl?

StarCruiser likes this.
  9. nick_the_fish

nick_the_fish Well-Known Member I am in great_britain

Map
    Its similar tech that you've been able to buy on motorhomes for years. Kinda cool, but not for me. I think for the cost of the build you could have been a good way to buying and converting a small overland truck.

10. moggy1968

moggy1968 Well-Known Member

Map
    I’m with Shane, if he wanted to go to those lengths he needs a bigger vehicle, there no adequate space for clothing, tools, sores etc etc. It’s just a flight of fancy by someone too clever for their own good!

11. moggy1968

moggy1968 Well-Known Member

Map
    They’re selling it, no room for 3

SteveJB likes this.
  12. karl webster

karl webster Land Cruiser Club sponsor Promoted Company Guru Land Cruiser Club Promoted Company

Map
    each to their own i say. personally i love it though. if you could get from the cab into the back it would be even better imo.

after doing scotland with some shite weather this would have just done the job for us.

Obviously if it was built on a cruiser. i have 0 interest in landrovers....

clivehorridge and Chas like this.
  13. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    It looks like there is access from the cab Karl. It’s more what could be built on the back of a pickup than an 80 really though I suppose it could be done.

14. Shayne

Map
    My trailer could easily be mounted on a pickup bed instead .

33485-2cf35df30f92db90441f4d159c2084af.jpg

clivehorridge and Chas like this.
  15. karl webster

Map
    ive got the pick up project on the go rich and have a jiffy truck box body sat waiting. i like the fridge body that rich sims has but ive never seen one pop up for sale.

16. Dervis Garip

Dervis Garip Well-Known Member Supporter I am in cyprus

Garage:
    Map
    Wow.......seeing is believing lol

Thats quite something special....All credit to him and his wife pulling something off like that.

Very inspiriting thanks for sharing Richard. :thumbup:

clivehorridge and StarCruiser like this.
  17. clivehorridge

clivehorridge Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in romania

Garage:
    Map
    Look at Shayne’s trailer photo, it’s ace!

There’s a slide-out stage on the left and a band pops up and starts playing so you can have a dance...

Brilliant bit of kit :bow-blue:

Chas, StarCruiser and Shayne like this.
  18. Shayne

Map
    Lol Clive its not that good but there's beauty in its simplicity , all sorts of improvements have been thought up but nothing done because ........................ it has everything we need already .

clivehorridge, Chas and StarCruiser like this.
  19. chapel gate

chapel gate Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Map
    Although not my bag, i admire the obvious thought and effort gone into the project.
    Personally cant see the point in pop topping an 80, there just isnt the room imo.
    i do keep casting an eye over demountables though.

converting an 80 into a chassis cab is pretty simple.
    on the other hand, i do actually enjoy camping. So will probably stick with the rtt for at least the time being.

20. Jacob100

Jacob100 Well-Known Member Supporter I am in uk

Map
    This 80 series conversion is pretty special. I think he says the camper only weighs around 300kgs.

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter