Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transmission Failure? Big Bang and Grinding Noise

Graehamlost

Good Afternoon!
1993 UK Landcruiser 80 12v Automatic (A442F)

Selecting from R to L last night.
Experienced a large bang, followed by a loud grinding noise and a loss of power.
When cycling through gears, grinding noise is very apparent, except when in N.

Drove the truck yesterday with no untoward noises, no vibrations, nor hesitation to change,
or any forewarning that an issue was on the horizon.

I spoke to Shaun last night, who suspects that the transmission has failed.

I've uploaded a video of the noise when cycling through gears.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Last edited:
I assume you’ve checked it’s not a front drive flange…?

I’d be much more inclined to think the transfer failed than the transmission. I’ve had this happen with same symptoms. Check what happens to noise with transfer in neutral.

Lock the centre diff and see if it moves. Could just be cv joint or as lorin said drone flange

Hi, thanks for getting back to me!
Sorry, I haven't got the experience to check the front drive flange.

What am i looking for if there's damage to the front drive flange?

I'm pretty new to 80's - owned a 1990 manual surf for 6 years before my cruiser.

I positioned the transfer shifter into L and there is no grinding - seems to drive ok through gears.

Same outcome of no noise when the Transfer shifter is set to N.

CDL indicator came on, as did ABS indicator - as would be expected.

The grinding only occurs when the Transfer shifter is set to H.

Hope this helps.

Thank you!

Is there anyway the transfer isn’t going into high properly? Definitely worth making sure it is engaging high.

If you've got drive with no grinding when the transfer is in Low, but no drive and grinding when the transfer is in high, the issue is in the transfer box. If this is correct, you’re either looking at a replacement transfer (this is what I did), or a rebuild. Transfer issues are rare but do happen. I’d not be overly concerned about dropping in a second hand replacement.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I had similar on my auto a few years ago driving up the ramp on the ferry to Bilbao, after I went into low, same noises etc but no drive in h or l, forward or reverse, just horrendous noise!
swapped the transfer box thanks to Karl on here getting me one pronto, & all was ok, and still is
Andy

I can’t thank all you guys enough for the help. Seriously, thanks so much for all the input. Muchly appreciated. I was so gutted when I woke up this morning, thinking about my poorly cruiser!
Looks like I’m in the market for a new old transfer case.

And a fair few will have a HF2AV yet no VC as it's been removed due to failing .

Back