Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Transmission / Torque converter / Diff / Tires NOISE :(

Matt Wright

Garage
Country Flag
south_africa
Hi guys
Been a while since I posted. I've done a bunch of stuff to my truck which I'll write up in the maintenance section but I am still plagued by a NOISE in the front of the car that is driving me nuts to the point that I accelerate as little as possible to tone the noise down.

Confirmed:
I have a whirring type of noise that almost drowns out the radio it's so loud
The noise sounds like it comes from the front of the vehicle
It happens when I apply the accelerator / give it gas. It does not make the noise when I free wheel / foot off the accelerator
It definitely sounds like it comes from something that's rotating
It increasing in volume as I accelerate

I hope it's not a joke device fitted to increase annoying noise as I accelerate! :icon-surprised:

I have had 2 forum gurus drive the truck and I/we guessed it was tire noise. there is definitely lots of tire noise in the mix as I run spacers and Goodyear Wrangler 305/70 Mud terrain tires - but the fact that the tire noise is constant but the proper noise comes and goes as I apply gas says something

I recently rebuilt the front axles so all should be good in there
There is fresh topped up diff oil
No leaks I can see on the prop shafts / u-joints
Centre gearbox was checked and was full of oil a while back

I am fresh out of ideas and am open to any thoughts.. Thanks in advance..

Matt, take the front prop off. I used to have a friend called Matt. Coincidence probably. He went off to Australia, or was it South Africa. I don't recall. Anyway. Never heard from him again as it happens. Shame he was a nice chap. He had a couple of cruisers. Maybe you've met him? :eusa-whistle:

Ha ha, check your messages - you'd be surprised what you find! ;)
Almost had a 100 in the bag this week but it sold from under my nose.
Front prop off you say.. Now I'm not sure if you're joking or not!

Matt, it IS you! Good Lord. Thought you must have been doing that extreme ravine off roading that you are so fond of. Err messages? What messages. I don't have anything from you bud and I live on messages, emither etc.

Right, not kidding about front prop. Drop the prop so that the transfer box isn't driving your front diff. Now on an 80 you should be able to drive by virtue of the viscous coupling in there sending drive to the back wheels. So have a go on the flat first. This will give you an idea of any noises coming from the transfer box. Then stick in the centre diff and drive normally. If you get same noise, different noise, no noise then we're getting somewhere. Note the results and report back. On and off noises are usually associated with driving and over run on the front diff. But can also be in the centre diff as well. Any noise that is that loud has to be a serious concern really. If it's still there and on and off with the power then it's not in your front axle.

I'll ping you again now to test. Was stick with trying to get the half shafts back in the diff when I did the latest rebuild (in the rain)
Understood on the prop - just had to check in case ;p

Report back soon

Well I don't know what a PING is, but I haven't had one.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back