Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Travel through Spain on Trailmaster Morocco trip

Roy Duffy

Country Flag
scotland
Hi I am doing a Trailmaster trip to Morocco in April. Im getting the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilboa. We arrive in Spain on 28th March and have to meet the rest of the tour near Gibraltar on the 31st. So we have 3 days to do 600 miles. Does anyone know of some nice places or a good route to visit on the way down?

Thanks
Roy

Scott went here - not sure if its anywhere your route though.

My folks spent a few days down there last September & said it was vay pleasant :icon-cool:

I can't remember anywhere particularly interesting on my way down to Morocco, but I do remember wasting half a day trying to get out of Madrid which I thought might be interesting but all I saw there was quite modern and uninteresting, I'm sure there were some interesting bits of Madrid but I missed them. If I ever went again I would by-pass Madrid. Sorry I can't help further but I may have saved you some time.

Well if anyone is driving the long way through SW France, always a BBQ going on here from Tomorrow night through to November! Plenty of room to wild camp too ;)
Steve

Hi Roy,
You're travelling in Easter Week. Easter Week in Spain is not all bunnies and chicks and the supermarkets closed for 20 minutes... it's a serious religious holiday. If it was me I'd push straight down from Bilbao to Malaga but you'd need to book a hotel in Malaga and spend the Friday watching the processions - the floats are up to six tons and it goes on to about 4 or 5 am on the Saturday. Seriously colourful, seriously crowded, seriously noisy! You may find that lots of places on the way down are closed but all the services should be functioning and they are much, much better than the UK version. There's a hotel in Malaga that we have used and it has underground parking but I don't know the height - don paco hotel, malaga brings up their website. Sunday becomes a quick blat down to Gib. Spanish fiestas like this are something else....
re Madrid, which is not big on Easter, stay on the main A1 then M30 straight thro follow Granada/Jaen signs . Don't bother with the ring roads/motorways and if you get stopped by a plain clothes cop car that only shows a badge against their windows - demand to see proof that they are cops - an old trick stop the cars with foreign plates tracking false euro notes and relieving the occupants of money!
course if you don't want to go to a lively Spanish city I can tell you of some nice mountain places to visit in the Sierra Nevada mountains... but it's still Easter in the villages! There is always Mini Hollywood, where Clint did the Spaghetti Westerns at Tabernas in Spain's desert.
Hope that helps.
Regards,

We did a trip down via Tarifa & stayed about 100m inland, lots of lovely scenery that was quite Morocco like on the way down. Andorra - Albacete - Cordoba - Granada direction we did

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks loads for all the advice, I really appreciate it!! Yeh I think i might make a run for the south and then relax for a few days!! Thanks again. Cheers Roy :)

Hi, i take it your rendezvous near Malaga is the belle vista campsite? , Mark.

Back