Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tri axle

Nice trailer Higgy.

overweight for the colly though.
Thanks Karl.. to be fair the old Colorado pulls it around no probs.. obviously depending on what you've got on it.. the light blue classic mini in one of the photos I fetched the other day.. it was like carrying a cotton bobbin..

sorry moggy your wrong. they will do you regardless. i cant pull my empty car transporter trailer with my van as the trialers 3.5t gross and the vans only legally aloud to pull 2T.ive looked into it in depth and also.had to take my trailer test.

sorry moggy your wrong. they will do you regardless. i cant pull my empty car transporter trailer with my van as the trialers 3.5t gross and the vans only legally aloud to pull 2T.ive looked into it in depth and also.had to take my trailer test.
I know what you mean Karl... ive had many a road side ding dong with vosa.. I had to do some drastic weight shedding with the trailer. and the truck. just to keep things borderline.. Then if they bring up the subject of O license and tachos, you better have your paper work or excuses to hand..:(

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Iv seen them (Five 0) in North Wales with portable load maps, now that's just wrong! on a recent ferry trip from north wales there were quite a few LHD Navaras with 5th wheel caravans. Im sure they are on electric brakes but not sure of the rules around those contraption seeing as they aren't on tow hitches. Triaxles are really only good for long loads as opposed to heavy loads if that makes sense. otherwise stick with two.

I know what you mean Karl... ive had many a road side ding dong with vosa.. I had to do some drastic weight shedding with the trailer. and the truck. just to keep things borderline.. Then if they bring up the subject of O license and tachos, you better have your paper work or excuses to hand..:(

yep. its all just a money spinner again to keep hitting us with fines etc.

sorry for the hijack on the thread.
if i was in the market for a tri axle id be interested. good luck with the sale.

Iv seen them (Five 0) in North Wales with portable load maps, now that's just wrong! on a recent ferry trip from north wales there were quite a few LHD Navaras with 5th wheel caravans. Im sure they are on electric brakes but not sure of the rules around those contraption seeing as they aren't on tow hitches. Triaxles are really only good for long loads as opposed to heavy loads if that makes sense. otherwise stick with two.
Stability is my main reason for a tri..ive had a dozen twin axle some have been great but a few have had me pulling the steering wheel off its column... Jeeeeez! Hold on Ethel..

The regs seem to have gone crazy in the UK.. good thing we're a bit more logical here. Below, had this out last weekend, and fully legal in Ireland, license, insurance, and under weight, not by much!

Best of luck with the sale HiggyIMAG2178.jpg

Actually, no I'm not. You absolutely can tow an empty trailer thats rated to 3.5tons but only weighing 2tons with your van, provided you have the right license.
I have always known this to be the case but someone on the Hilux forum disputed it and there was much debate back and forth, so I wrote to VOSA and this was their response.

Andrew

I refer to your mail of 7 February to VOSA Enquiries with the above title.

I confirm that for technical purposes a motor vehicle can tow any trailer provided the towing vehicle's towing capacity or Gross Train Weight is not exceeded, regardless of the Gross Vehicle Weight of the Trailer. Thus your example Hilux with a 2.5 tonne towing capacity can legally tow a trailer laden to 2 tonnes even though the trailer GVW is 3 tonnes.

The only regulations that make usage limitations based on trailer GVW rather than actual weight are some categories of driving licence, tachograph and driver's hours, and goods vehicle operator licensing. Those that govern overloading offences, the Authorised Weight Regulations 1998 and the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 do not.

Steve Whitehart
Heavy Vehicle Process Manager
Testing and Support Services
Customer Service Centre
VOSA Swansea
01792 454306

For more information on Testing and Support Services (TaSS), what we do, our performance against agreed targets and the opportunity to give us feedback please click on the following link -http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/contactu...ationsandofficesofthetrafficcommissioners.htm

The regs seem to have gone crazy in the UK.. good thing we're a bit more logical here. Below, had this out last weekend, and fully legal in Ireland, license, insurance, and under weight, not by much!

Best of luck with the sale HiggyView attachment 145605
Thanks for that Bob...That looks a nice bit of kit.

Actually, no I'm not. You absolutely can tow an empty trailer thats rated to 3.5tons but only weighing 2tons with your van, provided you have the right license.
I have always known this to be the case but someone on the Hilux forum disputed it and there was much debate back and forth, so I wrote to VOSA and this was their response.

Andrew

I confirm that for technical purposes a motor vehicle can tow any trailer provided the towing vehicle's towing capacity or Gross Train Weight is not exceeded, regardless of the Gross Vehicle Weight of the Trailer. Thus your example Hilux with a 2.5 tonne towing capacity can legally tow a trailer laden to 2 tonnes even though the trailer GVW is 3 tonnes.

The only regulations that make usage limitations based on trailer GVW rather than actual weight are some categories of driving licence, tachograph and driver's hours, and goods vehicle operator licensing. Those that govern overloading offences, the Authorised Weight Regulations 1998 and the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 do not.

Steve Whitehart
Customer Service Centre
VOSA Swansea
01792 454306

For more information on Testing and Support Services (TaSS), what we do, our performance against agreed targets and the opportunity to give us feedback please click on the following link -http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/contactu...ationsandofficesofthetrafficcommissioners.htm

thankyou Moggy.
ill be passing this info to someone i know who im pretty sure actually got fined for towing an empty trailer with a max gross above what his motor could tow.

the law regarding trailers is very vaugue or at least it used to be. They are more up to date with the legalities now.
for ten years i had technacly towed illigally due to not nowing the law. i rang the local staion who mis advised me regarding towing.The info everywhere is made to trip people up so they struggle to find the actual right information.

ill be keeping a screen shot of the info you have posted for the future if i get tugged. i dont suppose you would email me a scan of the letter could you please?

Andrew

Steve Whitehart
Customer Service Centre
VOSA Swansea
01792 454306

That's an interesting read Moggy..I have a folder full of this kind of stuff under the passenger seat ready for my next dispute (or fine) from plod. there are very clear guide lines but they seem to differ depending on who is dishing them out. I think its one of the greyist areas ive ever known in vehicle usage.. everyone knows but know ones telling and everyone thinks they know but they'v never been told. and the rest don't want to know . weather its right or wrong I keep it safe Don't be an idiot I think we all know our trucks capabilitys. and deal with it if I get pulled. if your trailer looks the Biz they tend to leave you alone..

Andrew

Steve Whitehart
Customer Service Centre
VOSA Swansea
01792 454306

This is how ive always understood it. Sounds like common sense.

Last edited:
thankyou Moggy.
ill be passing this info to someone i know who im pretty sure actually got fined for towing an empty trailer with a max gross above what his motor could tow.

the law regarding trailers is very vaugue or at least it used to be. They are more up to date with the legalities now.
for ten years i had technacly towed illigally due to not nowing the law. i rang the local staion who mis advised me regarding towing.The info everywhere is made to trip people up so they struggle to find the actual right information.

ill be keeping a screen shot of the info you have posted for the future if i get tugged. i dont suppose you would email me a scan of the letter could you please?
It was an email rather than a letter but if anyone wants a copy just drop me a pm with your email address and I’ll forward it to you.

Note though this doesn’t apply to licensing, you must have the right license for the max capacity of the trailer not what it actually weighs. It should be straightforward, if your license was after date x and you want to tow a trailer over 750kg you need a trailer test, but instead they have pissed around with and changed the rules several times. I think there’s now 3 different licenses in circulation with different towing capacities and the latest one means that the weight you can tow varies depending on the weight of the vehicle towing it, so you could have a trailer you can tow one day, but not the next because your using a different tug, it’s ridiculous.

I’ve heard of a few people being incorrectly pulled at roadside checks. When I was a lorry driver I got pulled for a tacho offence and managed to talk my way out of it because the traffic police that pulled me didn’t understand the law (I was totally illegal) If the police and vosa inspectors can’t get it right what chance has joe public got!

Stability is my main reason for a tri..ive had a dozen twin axle some have been great but a few have had me pulling the steering wheel off its column... Jeeeeez! Hold on Ethel..
Lol at ethel.
Try "settle petal".
works for me.. most of the time..

The difference is because licensing is with reference to mam, maximum authorised mass, so potential weight, whilst the trailer limits for vehicles refer to gtw or gross train weight, which is the weight actually being driven.

The reason I emailed dvsa rather than ring was so I had it in writing with a name, too easy for someone to missadvise you on the phone and then deny it afterwards.

It should be simple, it isn’t!!

Best of luck with the sale HiggyView attachment 145605
Seems the best way to get a VW camper to its next location. "Living the dream" my Aunt Fanny!

Seems the best way to get a VW camper to its next location. "Living the dream" my Aunt Fanny!

Going for an engine swap so I had to be able to get home too!

Back