Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Trip Around Russia

Matthew1955

Country Flag
wales
Did anyone see the first part of Simon Reeve's journey around Russia last night on BBC2

To me it is the start of a brilliant series and I do like Simon Reeve as the presenter but it went down rapidly hill,excuse the pun, when The LC got stuck trying to get up a muddy bank and had to be pulled out by a Mitsubushi pickup.Was it the drivers fault or the truck?Thoughts anyone

Driver error and road tyres. The local in the pickup showed how to do it

Sometimes vehicles get 'deliberately stuck'..makes the doco more interesting, if you know what I mean. I am not sure the brand of car makes for serious editing. Looking forward to seeing the other two parts.

Did anyone see the first part of Simon Reeve's journey around Russia last night on BBC2

To me it is the start of a brilliant series and I do like Simon Reeve as the presenter but it went down rapidly hill,excuse the pun, when The LC got stuck trying to get up a muddy bank and had to be pulled out by a Mitsubushi pickup.Was it the drivers fault or the truck?Thoughts anyone
Yes, im slightly obsessed with russia, especially soviet stuff.

I will drive the road of bones before i die..

Great series, watched a few of them now.

Gra,

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
CG, give me a knock as you go past mate and I'll come with you. I'd love to drop everything and just go.

CG, give me a knock as you go past mate and I'll come with you. I'd love to drop everything and just go.
Lol, will do chris. Dont start packing just yet though..

Oops. Already packed for a trip around Scotland this week.

Russia is top of my list to do. Although not the road of bones, the tour by Geko looks good and the film is well worth the watch

Maybe this as an intro then on to the road of bones......

Russia is top of my list to do. Although not the road of bones, the tour by Geko looks good and the film is well worth the watch

Maybe this as an intro then on to the road of bones......
Good watch. North of st petersburg im guessing?

Russia is on my list again...
1. Kola Peninsula (as per Lorin's post)
2. Road of Bones
3. Then there is the Baikal-Amur Mainline or BAM (railway service road) that is the mother of all Russian overland routes.

Stunning. Oh man I want to do that trip. Proper wilderness. Real edge of nowhere stuff.

Looking at the vehicles, I have to say I though the Landie looked the least capable. Maybe they just didn't have the right suspension set up on there; but it just seemed to be lacking the muscle and presence of the others. That's not Landie bashing, it's just an observation. The Hilux was bloomin' awesome!

Next running Sept 18. £4k thereabouts. Ferry to Helsinki. around 25 days including driving UK to Denmark - ish. I need to translate it more fully than that but I'd love to do that work permitting.

StunIing. Oh man I want to do that trip. Proper wilderness. Real edge of nowhere stuff.

Looking at the vehicles, I have to say I though the Landie looked the least capable. Maybe they just didn't have the right suspension set up on there; but it just seemed to be lacking the muscle and presence of the others. That's not Landie bashing, it's just an observation. The Hilux was bloomin' awesome!
I thought the 70 seemed to struggle! Will watch It again.

Didn’t really mean that it struggled
Rather it seemed less well prepared
Looked like it was unladen and bouncing around all over the place leading to being less well connected to the ground

Looks good"...........got me thinking...........

Back