Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Truck Problems - Not a cruiser!

Beau

Country Flag
guyana
Well as some of you may know I'm now in the US, Florida to be specific! The cruiser will be joining me shortly (in about 6-7 months). That's a different story anyway!

Anyway I bought a 02 Cadillac Escalade as I needed something quickly, that was big and would basically get me from A-B, but I wanted something nice at the same time.... Anyway, I bought it with one major problem that I'm having a hard time dealing with, it's breaks! So here's the story.

The breaks are dragging, mainly the front ones. The calliper doesn't release the pads back enough and so while driving they overheat and in a few miles I'll start to see smoke - Not good! The rears seem to be dragging too but not so bad. First thoughts were sticky pistons. So jacked up and could manage to spin the wheel but could feel the resistance with the pads just about touching. Wheel off, calliper off, pistons seem well, no rust, sliders are all greased, looks like they were replaced not long ago.... So anyway, I tried to force the pistons down and I could and the other one would pop back up (2 pot). But if I tried to force them both down it wouldn't budge, having the car on made no difference. If I opened the bleed valve they would go down. So from hear I'm thinking something not allowing the fluid to return and therefore the pistons aren't releasing fully...

So went into the engine bay, master cylinder looks good and clean. Also noticed these trucks don't use a normal vacuum brake boost. They use a hydro booster that's run off the power steering pump. Stupid idea if you ask me, if the power steering goes, as does your breaks!! I should also mention the pedal in the truck is hard and with very little movement applies the breaks, due to them be partially applied.

Now I have two thoughts here.... Firstly I have heard the lines can deteriorate internally and cause the fluid to basically only go one way and not return back acting like a one way valve. This would make sense, but on both front wheels and the back as well? Unless it's one of the main ones?

Second theory is the master cylinder has gone and is not allowing fluid to return. I don't know the internals of them and I've never dealt with breaks before so I have no clue if it could be the master cylinder. Anyway I just wanted to see what you guys thought before I start replacing parts....

And for those who ask why I didn't get a cruiser - Twice as expensive as a regular truck, and mines on it's way! :icon-biggrin:

Just a guess Beau your usually far more clued up than me but maybe flushing the fluid completely and blasting air through the lines might be the cheapest start point , your in America someone may have topped up the reservoir with ketchup :icon-smile:

Just a guess Beau your usually far more clued up than me but maybe flushing the fluid completely and blasting air through the lines might be the cheapest start point , your in America someone may have topped up the reservoir with ketchup :icon-smile:

:lol: Good point there Shayne

However I'm trying to avoid getting air in the system as I then need a special guy to come with a computer to bleed the ABS module which can trap air and can't be bled manually.

I think I will investigate further into the master cylinder

Just a guess Beau your usually far more clued up than me but maybe flus your in America someone may have topped up the reservoir with ketchup :icon-smile:

Or cheese

Just thought I would let everyone know it was a collapsed break line, the rubber flexi piece! Replaced these and breaks are spot on!

Also stop on a dime compared to the cruisers breaks... ABS kicks in later thats why

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back