Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tuning impedance in sub fuel tank gauge

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Ok this is one of those you "know or you don't" sort of questions. Guesswork isn't going to be helpful.

I have been trying to sort a sub fuel tank gauge. Now I can't fit the OEM one in the headlining because of my after market sunroof so forget that. I have mounted the OEM sub tank and sender and they are fine and I am not going to take the tank off again that's for sure.

So here's the issue. Most 52mm gauges that I can find (and I bought a really nice one) work on a range Full to Empty of 10 Ohms to 180 Ohms. But it seems that the OEM sub tank sender runs 3 Ohms to 110 Ohms.

I can't seem to find one that will suit that range. OK so here's the thing. I am not that fussed about it reading full accurately. If it reads full for 100 miles and I know it does that, it's not an issue. What I really need is an accurate reading of nearly empty. OK both would be good but not sure if I am going to be able to do that.

With the figures that I have to meet being LOWER than the gauge I have, can I just add some resistance into the circuit to adjust the impedance? The sender is a variable resistor so is any pre load I put on there going to work across the range? Or can I only affect it at the empty end. OK simple Paddington Bear maths here. If I need it to read 110 Ohms when empty but the gauge needs 180 to read that, can I just add 70 Ohms in there in line? If I do will that now have 73 Ohms when full leading to a reading of half full on the gauge? See, I need technical help on this one. If I could build clever circuits then I'd have something with a chip in it where I pressed SET at empty and SET 2 when full and that would be great. But I can't. I was having some chap in SA make me a gauge with LEDs that did this but he disappeared into the bush never to be seen again.

Ideas chaps please. Might this in fact be the answer? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Low-Fuel-...180?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item589cb7ff44

There do seem to be programmable gauges out there but we need to be realistic on price. £40 OK at a push, but £190 to solve this seems a bit steep. Most of these seem to be in the US. I have cut the hole, but if there is someone can make a clever LED display that reads from 3 to 110 Ohms then please let me know and I'll fill the hole in! I did by a digital one which was sexy but has the same impedance ratings. Maybe that could be 'fooled'

Ta Chaps

Its disappointing the key isn't included in the sale

But otherwise I have no idea :D

You may just have cracked it. I searched for sometime but never saw that particular toy. It's exactly what I need and bang on budget!!

:) I was just looking at the sellers other items and spotted it they do a version with a warning light as well as the correction

Ordered. Bloke actually replied tonight. Good service

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
What a tremendously helpful chap. Still mailing me at midnight. Says I should consider using the main dash gauge via the unit so when I switch tanks, the main gauge just resets and drops as if the sub tank was standard. It would also trigger the red light from the unit too.

What a tremendously helpful chap. Still mailing me at midnight. Says I should consider using the main dash gauge via the unit so when I switch tanks, the main gauge just resets and drops as if the sub tank was standard. It would also trigger the red light from the unit too.
That's how my 105 does it, and it left the factory with the sub tank option.

Fabulous little device. Came Saturday. Now, it's very quick if you read ALL of the instructions but if you miss one step you might spend 5 hours doing this. I mean you could if you were so STUPID as to actually miss the fact that you had to move a jumper. Not that this could ever happen to me leading to a wasted day. Oh no. Not me. I was just taking my time as I had rock all else to do.

If you are planning to make you own fuel tank this is essential. Also you can use it to add two tank capacities together so that the gauge will read from two senders! It's all very clever. It's installed and the red low level light is all set too. Had to take the tank out in the end but it can be done in situ. It's all in the instructions.

View attachment 19621

Oh if anyone is interested I did check the impedance of the acutal sender and it was pretty much on the money. 3 Ohms full to 113 Ohms empty. The sender works 'backwards' too. That will mean something to you if you come to try and do this.

Back