Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Turbo light

Compact3

When working for Toyota in the early 90's I seem to remember the turbo light would come on when accelerating in the early 12v version 80 series. Does the same apply to the 24 valve 1995 version. I have had one for 7 years and the light has never come on at all. I am told by a "mechanic" that as the light does not come on at all the turbo is on the way out. However, the manual for the vehicle says " If the light comes on then you should go to a dealership, as you may have a problem.
Andy

1995 GS 80 series.

Interesting comment something to look for when viewing a 24v.
Stu

does anyones turbo on the 24v whistle while under load? is this an issue? mines has done it for years but have always wondered. its like a high pitched scream/whistle.

does anyones turbo on the 24v whistle while under load? is this an issue? mines has done it for years but have always wondered. its like a high pitched scream/whistle.

Are you not sure that isn'tyour wife! :icon-biggrin:

My 12v (with an Alisport inter cooler) did that, I found a loose clamp on one of the hoses causing an air leak, tightened up and no whistle, so could it just be an air leak on yours?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
In my experience turbo warning lamps only come on when there is a problem and indicate, usually, low boost pressure ie turbo not working, or no oil pressure at the turbo.
Turbo whistle as nice as it can sound is bad, it indicates one of two things, air escaping under pressure or worn shaft bearings from lack of lubrication.
The whistle is from the oscillation of the shaft and usually gets worse, the turbo shaft does not run on its bearings but floats on a film of oil and the tolerances are very fine, having said that mine has a barely audible whistle that my passengers tell me they cant hear.

Is it ok to come on my 12v when the turbo kicks in? Starting to worry now

Is it ok to come on my 12v when the turbo kicks in? Starting to worry now

It's OK when the green light comes on, that's normal but the red light indicates overboost.

Thanks for that Frank. The "mechanic" has told the possible buyer that the turbo is possibly on the way out because he could not get the warning light to appear when revving the engine, sounds more and more like Mr Bean. The purchaser is now looking elsewhere. I had never seen the light come on in the two or three I have driven over the years. I wonder if that is why it is called a warning light!!!
Andy

Andy just to make it crystal clear it is a warning light. It should never come on. if it comes on there's a problem.

The mechanics comment might have been a lie to get the price down?

Never seen my turbo light come on either and the boost pressure is fine according the FSM specs. The light is there to indicate an over boost problem so I don't see why the mechanic would expect it to come on when revving the engine unless he's getting it's operation/indication confused with that from another vehicle?

You could loosen the actuator and jam something in so your actuator rod isn't long enough to open the wastegate to test the warning light actually works .

My 12v (with an Alisport inter cooler) did that, I found a loose clamp on one of the hoses causing an air leak, tightened up and no whistle, so could it just be an air leak on yours?
i'll have a nose about and see if anything needs tightened.
Are you not sure that isn'tyour wife! :icon-biggrin:
impossible, the noise is coming from the front, not in the boot! :lol:

Do you have a custom exhaust Aguirre over sized and or shorter will make the turbo whine far more noticeable

Do you have a custom exhaust Aguirre over sized and or shorter will make the turbo whine far more noticeable
no, it's totally stock. im beginning to think a hose maybe have slowly come undone over the years or ive been working the cruiser too hard with all the towing.

Mine made a whistling noise due to a warped inlet manifold/egr valve joint. The metal gasket between acted like a reed.

no, it's totally stock. im beginning to think a hose maybe have slowly come undone over the years or ive been working the cruiser too hard with all the towing.

Maybe this pipe is leaking which would make your turbo work overtime
TS%20XR6%20Actuator_2.jpg

The turbo light on the 24 valve will come on due to over boosting. The old 12v has two lights and the overboost light would come on when under heavy load and go off again as the load drops, unlike the 12v, the 24v light will stay on until the engine is stopped and restarted.

Mine comes on about 16 psi under heavy load.

Back