Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Turbo swap 1KZ-TE

Shayne

Guru
I don't like the look of this job but a garage gave me one of those chin scratching humming and harrring errrrmmmm maybe a 4 or 5 or 6 hour job i wouldn't like to say :icon-rolleyes:

So any helpful advice would be appreciated .

hmm I'm not too sure I've ever removed the turbo from the actual engine bay but if I was, I would imagine removing the exhaust manifold would be your first step. Then you can remove the oil lines running to and from the turbo and also the down pipe. Not too sure what else. I have the head and manifolds off my engine at the moment, so I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow for you so you can understand the job better.

Are you replacing the turbo with anything special? :icon-cool:

Any pics you can offer would be appreciated Beau its going in blind that bothers me sods law means we always find the right bolt to undo after we have removed lots that weren't necessary and i can't imagine any coming away easy .

So sure was i that you would ask i almost answered the "anything special" question in my first post :lol:

Temptation was there but i've spent a good few hours this evening researching and i'm not convinced there is anything to be gained by so called upgrades . TE means boost is limited by ecu so we can't even max out our factory set up and other options such as new core etc don't in reality do anything other than alter where in the rev range boost comes in .

CT12B I believe i'm looking for and its £155 from maxspeedingrods . Roughtrax want over 100 for a repair kit so .....

I know there's one in there Bob but i've no idea where , should i start with draining oil and coolant as it seems unlikely i will be able to clamp either feed closed ?

Shayne, have you got a workshop manual for it? I have the Gregory's manual that covers the engine. There are 3 pages covering removal, inspection, dismantle, reassembly and refitting (and another half page for the intercooler). If you PM me your email address I should be able to scan or photo it. Skim reading, you need to drain coolant, but not oil.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Of course i have i've had it so long without using it i never thought on it ! thanks Rob .

I fitted a maxspeedingrods ct20 to my old LJ78, seemed a decent piece of kit, and unbelievably cheap !

Did you get a new gasket, mine didnt come with one, worth checking before you destroy the old one.

Pete

Still waiting for them to email me back about gaskets Pete i also want to be sure its a steel wheel rather than ceramic .

Just be careful buying cheap turbos Shayne.Ive had loads of people come to me for a second hand unit after fitting a cheap £200 new turbo that have failed in no time at all.

Seems a well established and respected company if you google "forum maxspeedingrods" results don't just come from the UK and the feedback seems good . No telling where anything comes from nowadays so try it and see is all i can do .

Last edited:
Removal turned out to be much easier than i expected it is time consuming but a lazy 3.5 hours on my first attempt including umpteen tea breaks while i sorted bits and bobs on the phone and com . However on inspection i can't see any faults its a bit black as to be expected but i can detect no play and it spins almost as good as the new turbo so a wasted effort perhaps . I do wonder about how black the surrounding area is though :think:

Turbo out 004.JPG

Turbo out 003.JPG

... and there was me thinking how clean it all looks... :doh:

It will all get a good scrub tomorrow with white spirits before i start putting it back together its high time she had some tlc .

Shot blasted
coyx 001.JPG

Coated with Calyx
coyx 003.JPG

It will be interesting to see how it lasts .

Well shes whistling happily and nothings blown up , fell off , leaked or screamed ............ yet :pray:

Always a good sign,looks better than new buddy.

Need a gasket for the turbo oil feed pipe on the engine side 50 quid for the pipework and 2 gaskets from RT of which i will use only one gasket or shall i phone Simon :think:

There's my tip for anyone replacing the turbo - I managed without removing the exhaust dump/down pipe but it was a pita trying to line it up with the oil feed whilst trying to keep the gasket in place (the gasket i'm talking about will be obvious if you do it) it eventually dawned on me that i could remove the offending studs from the turbo sit everything where it should be then just slip the gasket in and replace the studs . Unfortunately i didn't work this out before i had upset the gasket i now need to replace :icon-rolleyes:

Back