Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre Pressures- Again!

Adrianlle

Country Flag
great_britain
Away at the moment with the LC4. Experimenting with tyre pressures as recently changed the Grandtrek for Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S in the 70 rather than 65 profile. Struggling to find the sweet spot for the tyres fir a comfortable ride- at moment it’s a bit jumpy and harsh at the rear. 87K. Standard suspension and new oem shocks , drop links and roll bar bushes. As a rule of thumb should I be running the tyres with lower pressure because taller profile or doesn’t it make that much difference? The Cooper is a b heavy tyre so wondering if 29/30psi is too low? I’ve tried 34 but that seems v firm though truck tools well. I’d So suggestions on a postcard please? Thanks

Fit “tools well “” read rolls well- predictive text! To compensate fir the ride I’ve even tried carrying 8 Heavy building blocks in boot but still b jumpy and unpleasant.

I've got 34psi all round on goodyear wranglers. Toyota's suggestion of 29 seems way too low for me.

Reactions: Sid
I run 29/30 during cold weather, up the pressures to 35 in the warmer seasons.

Remember if you've just had the tyres fitted it will take up to 1000 miles to scrub the treads in.

When I moved from the OEM passenger rated 265/70R16s to LT rated AT 265/75R16s, I gradually upped the pressure to 38psi all round and found that a good compromise for everyday mixed driving. If I'm going on a long motorway trip, I sometimes up that to 40 psi all round.

IME when moving from passenger "P" rated road biased tyres to All Terrain tyres, (especially if they're "LT" rated, as they'll have even more plys and even stiffer sidewalls), the ride will suffer a little no matter what you do.

Of or these thoughts. I suspected it was a combination of new treads and stiffer AT tyres. So I will keep experimenting between 32 and 40 psi! Have a couple of hours drive home today- no motorways- so will try at 35. Thanks

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back