Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre size question

LC80tim

Country Flag
england
I will be changing the tyres on my 80 in the near future and wanted to ask if I was to put 35's on my auto would it effect the gearing to a point it spoilt the drive, I've got 285's on at the moment and was going to put bfg muds on in the same size but if I could get away with 35's I might go this route ?

I run 35" bfgs Mt's and also have a set of 33's (255/85r16) notice very little difference between the 2 performance/driving wise, only on long steep twisty roads I have to press the loud pedal a bit more. Single track roads like that in the peaks I use the box like a manual tbh so it'll use the revs and not change up too early.
Mine's petrol auto btw.

Thanks for that Gary will consider 35's when deciding what to get, only other thing might be clearance problems

I've lifted 2.5" had minor scrubbing at the rear mudflaps trim piece but soon adjusted it. Have extended bumpstops and don't get any scrubbing off road.

The people with oil burners will know more about any effect on performance

I had a customer who had the 285's fitted, his was an auto diesel and he never mentioned any loss in performance. I am still in contact with the new owner who still is in Spain, he too has not mentioned anything amiss.

Remember the diesel produces plenty of torque at low revolutions, so I would have thought the difference if noticeable would be minimal?

regards

Dave

Thanks for that Gary will consider 35's when deciding what to get, only other thing might be clearance problems
Hi Tim. I run bfg at,s in 35 -1250-16.5 on my 93 diesel auto 80. its lifted 3 inches and no problem with rubbing etc.performance wise while she's no dragster it's still more than acceptable on the road and holds her own in modern traffic . I also regularly tow a 18 ft ifor williams with at least one motor and a load of spares and I'm never the guy everyone is waiting for . And they look cool ! !!!

20160921_180032.jpg 20160921_180013.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for that guy's more to ponder about lol, only got approx 2" lift so might have to test fit some 35's to see if there's any clearance issues ( nothing than can't be sorted I suppose ) I like the idea of more clearance on the Diffs and better ramp over angle ( every bit helps :) ) as Off-Road as much as I get chance to, mainly lanes but do like the old pay and play

Thanks for all your input and have made a sensible decision lol, I'm going for bfg 285 75's km2 and got a good quote, £600 all in for 4 fitted and balanced Inc vat :) booked in for this Wednesday

Thanks for all your input and have made a sensible decision lol, I'm going for bfg 285 75's km2 and got a good quote, £600 all in for 4 fitted and balanced Inc vat :) booked in for this Wednesday

That's a good price there gonna get the KO2's production date 2016 this week for £730 here cheapest I could find.

Had tyres fitted today :) the old one had a date stamp of 2005 and had plenty of cracks between the treads ( general grabbers AT2's ) so happy to have new rubber on.
For anyone in UK I used a site called 4site/4x4 tyres, you book on line and choose you preferred fitting centre but pay at fitting garage rather than online ( I travelled a bit out of area 7 miles ) as prices vary on fitting centre ( saved £35 by travelling )
Total £600 all inclusive of fitting and balance with new valves to 285/75/16 bfg km2's

Total £600 all inclusive of fitting and balance with new valves to 285/75/16 bfg km2's

I take it that was for 4, not 5 tyres

edit, just seen your earlier post, yes it is 4, just wishfull thinking on my part!!

Congratulations on your new shoes.

Wow 2005 that's shocking.......Mine were 2011 starting to see fine cracks to why I wanted to change them.

Back