Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

tyre size

Philip amos

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
landcruiser 100 uzj100 facelift 2003 i want to know what are the widest tyre i can fit to original wheels i belive they are 8j x 18 however when i look up what size tyres i can have it says max 245 they came with 275 ,so i am at a loos can someone tell me the max width tyres

What is the size in your owners manual,?

havent got one but the wheels are 18 inch and tyres are 275 60 18 as per spec.

landcruiser 100 uzj100 facelift 2003 i want to know what are the widest tyre i can fit to original wheels i belive they are 8j x 18 however when i look up what size tyres i can have it says max 245 they came with 275 ,so i am at a loos can someone tell me the max width tyres
You might get away with 285mm width but obviously if you go to wide then you'll start rubbing things up the wrong way, I have Yokohama G015 Geolander AT 275/60 R18 113H TL on mine and I find them very good all round.

I think if I conldn't get a answer, I'd try getting an almost worn out 285mm or wider, fit it to my spare and drive around for a while on the back then the front, and see what the outcome is, I know they fit 285mm's to the 200 series.

The other thing to take into consideration, should you ever need to fit chains (very unlikely most of the time in most of the UK) then going wider on the stock suspension you'll have a lot of banging and clattering.

Happy hunting.

If you look up the US site, you'll see that 305 and even 315 width is common. Depends on the offset of the rim as well, as you might get rubbing/conflict with the UCA at those sizes with standard rims.
Wider tyres will give you lousy handling, less grip, more wear (on tyres and steering/suspension components) and a lot more torque steer and climbing on grooves in the road.
255 or 265 are much better widths for the 100. 275 is standard for the 100 on all 3 standard rim sizes, 16, 17 and 18". The rims are all 8" wide. The 100 was delivered in africa and some places in asia with an option of 16x6,5" rims, with 235 tyres, which handles very well.
What is the purpose of increasing the width for you?

If you look up the US site, you'll see that 305 and even 315 width is common. Depends on the offset of the rim as well, as you might get rubbing/conflict with the UCA at those sizes with standard rims.
Wider tyres will give you lousy handling, less grip, more wear (on tyres and steering/suspension components) and a lot more torque steer and climbing on grooves in the road.
255 or 265 are much better widths for the 100. 275 is standard for the 100 on all 3 standard rim sizes, 16, 17 and 18". The rims are all 8" wide. The 100 was delivered in africa and some places in asia with an option of 16x6,5" rims, with 235 tyres, which handles very well.
What is the purpose of increasing the width for you?
Agreed.

Of corse one reason for bigger tyres is to make your vehicle and possibly the driver look menacing.

After all, most car manufacturers spend a lot of time and money on R&D so usually the best tyre & wheel combination is the one that is fitted by the manufacture for the market the car is sold in, and when the government introduce the tyre wear tax (this will come into force when electric cars are more common) and brake dust tax, we will all want narrow tyres, tyre dust and brake dust will replace deisel particulate tax, especially in cities.

Governments have got to get/replace their revenue from road tranport somehow, and if JC's 'think tank' get their way all private car ownership will be banned by 2030, so it will all become academic.

Happy days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back