Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre sizes

Adam07

Country Flag
england
Hi,
I’m about to buy some new tyres for my LC95 Colorado and wondering what size I can go up to without having to add a body or suspension lift. Currently got 235/70/16 and seen a set of 265/75/16 Goodrich. Will they cause issues??

Last edited:
Got 265 75 16 Cooper stt pro on my 100 only real noticeable differences is around 4mph less reading on the speedo if you got stand alone electric map you can see difference and if towing heavily loaded trailers uphill best to use power button and not use overdrive button others have gone taller and wider so best wait for a more knowledgeable answer if that is the way you are wanting to go

265/75R16 is about the biggest you can go on a Colorado/90 series without any mods. Even then, you'd ideally need a 40/50mm suspension lift and still may experience some slight rubbing on the front mudflaps on full lock. Alternatively you can look at 275/70R16, which is also a common size (and was OEM size tyre for the 80/100 series).

Also different tyre brands have different edge profiles (where the tread surface meets the side of tyre) - the BFGs are typically quite "square", whereas some brands can be more "rounded". This can make a difference to how much interference you have between the tyre and the inner wing and bodywork.

I've had 265/75R16s on my Collie for nearly 10 years now with a 50mm suspension lift and still get a tiny bit of rubbing on the front mudflaps on full lock.

Add : on 265/75R16 my speedo is pretty spot on against GPS till about 40mph and only out by 5% at 75mph. Mine's the petrol V6 and the tyres have not made a massive difference to the pulling power but then I'm never towing anything and very rarely fully loaded. I'm sure the low down grunt of the TD will more then compensate anyway.

I've seen some owners report that they can fit 265/75/16 without a lift, while others have problems. It seems a bit random and you wouldn't expect such different results from such a small variation in tread width. As said above, I'm sure the nature of the shoulders makes a difference and I wonder if teh precise set-up of the steering geometry also affects things. What's certain is that there isn't a huge amount of space to play with. I tried with 265s without a suspension lift. I had to remove the front mudguards but still got rubbing on the chassis on full lock. They were big, square-shouldered mud-terrains. I solved it by doing a suspension lift, which was the ultimate plan anyway.

Nowadays I use 235/85/16 and I do wonder if these might be a safer bet if you want bigger tyres without a suspension lift? Obv. I don't know as I already had a lift, but the narrower profile might avoid some of the pitfalls?

There is adjustment in the castor, which I believe will bring the wheel "forward" but I'll bet that most 90 series trucks will have seized castor correction bushes by now, so you'll probably have to budget for a new pair.

Changing the wheel offset or using spacers will make a difference too.

Not sure where you're based but you're welcome to try my wheels on to see (I'm in Watford) - though after Covid restrictions are lifted, as we're about to go into tier 3!

Back