Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyres and wheels

majic79

So, I'm looking at all the information, and it seems the BFG AT/KO's are the tyre of choice, but what I want to know is about how they perform on-road and in the wet/snow/ice.

I ask because I have some proper gravel tyres for my rally car and gave them a go in last years snow - they where rubbish. On normal tarmac, the car is like a terrier on lino (which is fun anyway...) but offroad they're brilliant. Likewise, I have some more conventional road tyres for it, and in the snow (they're a M+S pattern with siped tread blocks) they were fantastic, allowing me to get around where others feared to tread (including more than one 4x4) but next to useless in wet grass, to passable in dry gravel (nowhere near as good as the proper offroad tyres though)

I want to go offroad with my truck, but at the moment I'm using it primarily on tarmac (at the moment it's towing/general transport, but will go offroad with it in spring/summer/autumn), and no illusions about the current tyres (lack of) tread means they're up for replacement. There's a bit of a mismatch fitted - one yokohama geolandar up front along with a General of some sort and 2 dunlops at the back

I've got space to store spares if it comes to it, so I may buy some steel wheels in the future and put AT/KO's on them, but I'd rather buy the one set. So I want to know how the BFG's rate on road, and on the snow in general before I buy something. I'm leaning towards Kumho KL15's as theyr'e reasonably priced, I've had good experiences of Kumho in the past and the pattern (while not M+S) looks like it'll perform OK in snow/ice if we get another bad winter

Please throw in your input - I've looked at as many reviews/tyre prices as I can stomach, so now I'd like to get impressions from the community :)

Last edited:
If your interested these are ready to move on, they are 265 70 16's and have about 12mm of tread on them, wheels are almost mint. I am putting some Muds back on

Doncaster-20121202-00217.jpg

They're a bit "bling" for my tastes, but if the price is right..... 4 off or 5 off?

Ok, after reading a few more reviews, I've taken an interest in the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF 10's

Can anyone give some feedback on them?

I probably read those same reviews! :icon-biggrin:

I've had my RF10's for around 18 months and 18k miles - all good so far and I have no complaints. However I'm probably not the best person to give a decent opinion as I went to the RF10s straight from the OEM Dunlop AT20s - so I don't really have much to compare against.

All the reviews were very good at the time and when I bought mine they were priced around £75 for a 265/75R16 tyre - whereas others on my wishlist were GG AT2 at around £120 and BFG AT at around £150. So the price tipped the balance - there simply wasn't anything out there at the time that had so many favourable reviews and at that price bracket.

However the RF10 are now around £100 too - so if I was looking again now in that price range, I would seriously consider the Toyo Open Country ATs which are available for a similar price.

LC_wheels008.jpg

EDIT : One thing to note is that the RF10 tread isn't as aggressive as say a BFG AT or GG AT2 - at least to the naked eye. Though in the side by side tests, they perform quite well.

Last edited:
Decided I liked the price, so bought some Hankooks

20121220_212133_HDR.jpg

Getting them fitted on Saturday

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back