Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyres or Mortgage

James GrP

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi All,
Been away while the pandemic rages - hope your all well.

Time for new tires all round on my LC100 and just wondering what the current consensus on AT tires are.
Was going to get KO2's but finding them in 275/70/60 is proving a challenge, are you lot running anything different and if so how you getting on with them, pricing seems to be raping up everywhere I look like everything else for sale...

Hoping the meets start up again later in the year, never made one yet but I look forwards to seeing lots of LC's in a field soon.

James

I'd say finding them in that size would be a challenge

I'd consider your needs, there's a lot of tyre snobbery with 4x4 owners ( me included) about KO2's. There's a good case for them of you're going overland to Mongolia across Russia and they do wear well ( I got 80K out of a set in 8 years) but you have to keep your Cruiser absolutely ages to get the benefit.
You could do a lot worse than Yokohama Geolanders, I sold the new set of KO2's off my 80 series and put a S/H set of the YG's on. Very impressed on the road, snow, and down tracks. I know they aren't extreme tyres but neither are they extreme price.

P.S. Other tyre manufacturers are available :icon-biggrin:

Got Geolanders on my Hilux and the Sprinter 4x4 - they do wear pretty well and are quiet and well-behaved as Andy says, though I do think the carcass is pretty light weight compared to a BFG, Cooper or similar. Not been a problem in normal day-to-day use, but I would be wary of using for overlanding or even play days in quarries and the like. Got Cooper STT Pros on the 80 Series, which are more serious offroad tyres, though last I heard there are some supply issues at the moment (not sure if its Brexit or CV19).

Some of the local guys have recently started running Toyo Open Country tyres, mostly due to price - look the part, but I can't comment on longevity, sorry.

Cooper 265 75 16 stt pro are the tyres I'm using others seem to like the AT3s at the end of the day it will be down to your wallet and how much it wants to let go and don't forget the online sellers might be some good deals to be had and as to your question go for the new tyres as then you can drive to your mum and dad's or your new rented accommodation when the house has been well you umm know

lol. yes, you seem like a fella who likes a challenge...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I feel your tire struggle. KO2s are solid, but I've had good experiences with other AT tires, like the Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Pricing can be a pain, but it's worth shopping around. Can't wait for those LC meets to kick off – the best place to see LCs in action. Also, you can consult Mortgage Broker Swindon for the best financial decision. Enjoy your ride!

Last edited:
And look for 265/75-16 -- You might find better prices

Even though my response is a bit belated, I wanted to drop in and share my two cents. I've been cruising on Cooper Discoverer AT3 and they've been holding up surprisingly well. Prices these days are a bit wild! Fingers crossed for those meets to kick off soon. However, if you're navigating through this financial maze, you might want to consider reaching out to the financial experts at Mortgage Advisor Essex. They could provide you with the most detailed guidance regarding your situation and help you make an informed decision that suits your goals.

Last edited:
Back