Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

ubuntu

goodoldboy

well ive finnaly got round to installing ubuntu (precise pagolin 12.04 lts) & can only wonder why i hesitated.Im running a dual boot at the mo but am tempted to get rid of windows.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2013-09-05 17:41:33.jpg
    Screenshot from 2013-09-05 17:41:33.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 108
I've dabbled with it now and again (admittedly, about 18 months ago was the last time) and while on a whole it was ok, there were things that "just worked" with windows and Linux stubbornly refused. Like installing my wireless card....

Would be interesting to see how you get on with it on a day to day basis. Im bound to Windoze for work reasons but I think my next laptop will be a mac or dual-boot linux jobbie...

What made you change?

The idea of open source software appeales to me & ubuntu is ( at the moment !) fast & stable - so fast ive started to use a mouse with my laptop.the workspace switcher is great as is the way that you can switch between open windows from the same app - great for cutting & pasting.firefox seems to be a bit fragile , jerking on scroldown & locking up at times - someting to do with shockwave i think , a shame because i dont really like chrome.
as for the wireless connection it seems to connect almost instantly although wilreless card issues seem quite common for new users.
open source software has become mainstream now - just look at anti virus apps - so anything that breaks the duopoly of microsoft & apple is to be welcomed.

Back