Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

UHF Aerial Bracket

Doc68

Country Flag
australia
So we have a 2022 76 Series with a PSR Ambush colour-coded bar - with no hoop and no pre-drilled spotlight / UHF aerial holes, we’re looking for alternatives to mount a UHF aerial. We could of course go with a folding bracket mounted to the roof rack but our preference is not to (mainly because the extra height might be the difference between getting into low spaces and not. Despite a lengthy internet search, I’ve been unable to find either an under-bonnet mount that’s model specific for our ‘cruiser - GME make a generic bracket but I’m not convinced it’ll last long term (due to narrowness of the part that attaches to the vehicle itself). Although I’ve come up short, I’m hoping someone here will have come across something suitable in their travels. I had also thought of having a bracket manufactured to mount onto the rear wheel but, as the supplied UHF cable is only 4-5 metres long, and that our UHF will be mounted in an overhead console, that doesn’t seem like the best option (largely because I’m not keen on splicing an extension piece into the supplied cable due to the potential for signal degradation). That said, I’d be keen to hear what others may have done in similar situations.

I have a VHF/UHF head unit mounted overhead and ran the cables above the headlining which was the most direct route. If you're talking about splicing the coax then no, that's no good so either make up or buy a quality extension lead with the correct connectors if the standard lead still isn't long enough.

I was thinking the same but it's the aerial bracket that I'm struggling with at the moment as we don't the bullbar as an option.

If you can't find a commercially available bracket that's suitable, making one shouldn't be too much of a task.
I bought this one as it was perfect for my situation and cheap but as you can see it's just two bits of aluminium and could easily be DIY'd.

344DD554-EA1C-4567-8681-F5C67559FDD2.jpeg

Thanks all - just to close this out, I ended up going with the GME folding bracket mounted to a Razed Products roof rack mounting plate which sets the UHF aerial down the side of the roof rack, rather than on top. For us, the issue was height which, with the roof rack and the 2” lift, puts the ‘cruiser already just under 2100mm high. I’ve set the folding bracket on the driver’s side, just above the driver’s door. When not in use, I’ll keep it folded but, when we’re travelling and want to put it up, I can just flick it up and away we go. My plan is to leave the 2dBi as the default aerial but can swap it out for the 6dBi if needed.

Back