Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

UK rules ref importing modded 1977 FJ40 - HELP!

Joe Dunne1

Country Flag
australia
Hi there, I would like to talk to somebody who can give me clues to import my 40 to UK, and what to do to make the "fun police" happy enough so that I can use it here!

I am IT-clueless, so sorry if I have bal**** up any protocols!

Joe Dunne

IM000867.jpg

UK appears to be a hell of a lot easier than France and its even worse in Spain by all accounts!

I am mid process on this one. So far the HMRC have agreed the VAT amount but have failed to produce an invoice. Until that happens I can't do anything. If you are not VAT registered then the process described on the Govt website is wrong. You actually need to complete a C384 from which HMRC will then complete your NOVA.

Then you need to sort a V5. The form I have for this from DVLA is utterly useless and doesn't fit what I am trying to do. There's no mention of an MOT. It has to be insured which I don't really want to do yet and you need a certificate of conformity. Plus you have to tax it at the same time which again I don't want to do as I want to SORN it immediately. Hopefully I can speak to a human.

Its fairly straight forward to import a vehicle that is over 10 years old to the UK, it just takes money and time. I imported my 105 from Oz last year, so I have a small amount of experience.

The vehicle needs to able to pass a UK MOT test, the 105 required rear reflectors and a rear fog light installing to conform. The speedo being in KPH was not an issue, it just needs to work, the units are irrelevant as EU vehicles that spend more than 6 months in the UK have to be registered here and therefore get MOT'd with KPH speedos.

I container shipped mine so the shipping agent submitted the NOVA for me, this is straight forward as long as you have all the paperwork. A vehicle imported from outside the EU will incur import tax (10%) and VAT (20%), IIRC you pay import on the freight cost + the value of the vehicle itself, then you pay VAT on top of that lot and any shipping insurance costs. Any duty and VAT owed needs to be paid before the vehicle can clear customs and be released.

On the paperwork side of things you'll need the following: Purchase receipt (its best to view this in the same way that people view the amount a vehicle is worth when applying for a carnet, and not the amount you would insure the vehicle for), registration documents from the country of origin. The C384 form that Chris mentions needs to be completed, this is looking for the details of the vehicle that may contribute to its value and therefore increase the taxable amount. There is a section for vehicle modifications so its up to the applicant to declare any mods that have increased the vehicles value.

The vehicle can be MOT'd whilst the NOVA application is being processed, and its best to do this as the MOT pass paperwork is needed for the DVLA vehicle registration. The DVLA require a lot more paperwork, and the NOVA must have been completed and listed on the NOVA database before they will consider registering the vehicle. HMRC will confirm this in writing.

The DVLA provide a very useful pack for registering a vehicle which is well worth getting. The V55/5 form asks for loads of information but this form covers all vehicles that the DVLA deal with, so only some of it is relevant for an 10+year old Land Cruiser. Its well worth employing the same approach that Shayne took when registering his Hummer, the V5 only requires some very basic information for the vehicle: body type, colour, engine size and fuel type, date of first registration in country of origin, year of manufacture, chassis and engine numbers, tax class (should be PLG). As the Land Cruiser is 10+years old it is does not require any type approval paperwork or IVA test, just the MOT is required to prove that it is safe to use on UK roads.

The DVLA also require to see the vehicles insurance certificate, registration certificate from country of origin (this should avoid the need for a dating document from Toyota. I also sent a photo of the chassis plate that showed the date of manufacture), documents to confirm your name and documents to confirm you address, payment of the £55 first registration fee and payment for the first vehicle tax that'll be due. I've not heard any mention of registering directly onto a SORN, as Chris hopes to do. Chris - Let us know how you get on with this please.

So although it may seem a little daunting at first, as long as you have your paperwork in order it'll just cost you money and time. Its worth the effort because 40's are rare in the UK, you could consider buying and bringing a second vehicle across with yours and selling it in the UK to contribute to the shipping/importation costs. Good condition 40 and 60 series are rare here.

Scott that answers many of my questions. I can't really get an MOT on it in advance as it doesn't have an identity for the paperwork. IE no registration mark. Even if I took it on a trailer I'm not sure how they'd validate the MOT certificate. Maybe they can. I certainly can't insure it without a registration plate. Can I?

But so far, despite reminders the HMRC still have not sent me the VAT invoice. Once I get that done at least I can make a start on the rest of the stuff you mentioned.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Vehicles can be submitted for MOT with just their VIN numbers for identity, some insurance companies will insure a vehicle on the VIN prior to registration and a VRN being issued.

I insured the 105 on the chassis number and pre booked an MOT for the afternoon of her arrival, so I drove her straight out of the container to the MOT station sporting her Ozzy plates. I'd already had the rear reflectors and foglight fitted prior to arrival in the UK.

Does your new vehicle not have any number plates at all? Driving with no number plates tends to raise suspicion, seeing foreign registered vehicle on UK roads is fairly common these days. You are allowed to drive an unregistered vehicle to an MOT test.

Extracted from this website https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/5-things-our-customers-ask-us-about-mot/
"Can I test an unregistered vehicle?
A vehicle that is not UK registered can still be MOT tested. To register a vehicle without a registration plate (e.g. an imported vehicle not yet UK registered) you’ll need to create a new record. Set the Registration Mark Descriptor to 'Not Required' and this will allow you to leave the Registration Mark field blank and register the test. Then complete the other fields as appropriate."

I had all the paperwork with me to prove that the vehicle was a fresh import that was being MOT tested as part of the registration process incase I was stopped. I passed two marked vehicles on route and however many ANPR cameras but had no bother. Turned a few heads driving an Ozzy plated overland prepped 105 through east London!

Hmm, OK I'll look into that. You can't drive it uninsured though. So I'd need to get that sorted which I don't really want to do. It's a pain is this. Yes it has plates, but the original owner only brought it up from the South and was stopped by Plod. They're very different plates and attract attention. HMRC notify DVLA in the process so I'll let them do what they need to do first I think. Once they actually DO that of course. Then I'll go from there.

Flux insured the 105 on the VIN for me. HMRC took 2 months to do the NOVA and enter the details on the database that the DVLA check for confirmation that HMRC have received all duties owed and have no further interest in the vehicle. DVLA took just over 2 weeks, which I thought was good.

Could you borrow a trailer and take the vehicle to the MOT station? Then maybe do a short term insurance to provide the insurance certificate required for registration purposes and cancel it once you receive the UK VRN, and declare a SORN?

Depending on how much it has been modified it my be eligible for "BTI / 9705 Historic Vehicles Import Relief". This is for vehicles over 30 years old, which a Series 40 will be, but only unmodified vehicles. In you qualify you pay no import duty and only 5% VAT. Search google for details. Despite what some sites say it applies to all 30+ year old vehicles, you no longer need to prove "Historic Importance".

Hi
Scott is right you can insure and get your vehicle MOT'd using the VIN when I imported my 4o from Japan it was all pretty smooth just make sure your paperwork is spot on Duty & Vat first then MOT & Insurance wait for HMRC to give you the NOVA then send it all to DVLA for registration (Make copies of everything)

Yes. You can insure and MOT a vehicle on the VIN number. You have to have valid insurance and MOT to complete the paperwork for the UK vehicle registration process. Other than to and from an MOT station you cannot use or keep the vehicle on public roads until the registration process is complete and the vehicle has its registration plates fitted.

The insurance company will periodically chase you for the newly issued registration number to update their certificate/records/MID database. IIRC the DVLA issue a duplicate MOT certificate with the vehicles new registration number with the returned documentation.

Back