Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ultimate guide to green lanes and greenlaning

SimonD

Country Flag
australia
I don't have it but I thought a thread may be useful. Currently a lot of searching is involved to identify roads/BOATs and so on. It would be great to have a list of resources and links and route coordinates together in one place. To start I wanted to know if GLASS is worth joining as the membership is not free.

Are there other green lane web resources that will help? What are some great routes to consider? What should be avoided [too narrow, too damaging etc]?

Would be a nice list to put together.

What would be good if people could send me their gps logs from greenlanes. We can then stick these here for download with a short description.
Think we'll start with ones from next Lincomb.

Well I have the route from Long Mynd as a track log from my Garmin, not sure how you would convert that to a propper route though :doh:

I'll grab it from you - easy to turn it into something for people to download and impotr on most GPS toys.

Ok, well I also have the Salisbury Plain ones, with Kiwi Hill on it, so I can mail both to you :clap: :auto-layrubber: :banana-explosion: :banana-stoner: :happy-jumpeveryone: :happy-wavemulticolor:

BTW, did I say I liked the new smilies.....

It's a shame we don't know anyone involved in Tracks for Africa - we could nick their software and do a 'Tracks for UK' logging all the green lanes.

Is it something that Glass/GRAG would get involved in?

It could be sold to them on the basis that if off roaders know where they are allowed to go, they are less likely to go on tracks that they aren't allowed to go on.

Jon, as chief mappping guru, any ideas?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Now this is really getting my interest.

Graham

You really should join Glass or Crag as they have a listing of every single greenlane and RoW in the country as well as updated TROs and "self imposed" TROs.

You can download them, import them into Memory map and drive off them- well worth the small investment.

Might be best to affiliiate ELCO to Glass as then you can get free membership iirc- Paul Humphries (paul H on here) is the chap to talk to- he's a CRAG area rep and has been promoting greenlaning for years- has a LOT of useful knowledge.

The problem with storing whole routes is that the status of individual RoW can and does change on a regular basis. The legal and physical constraints of laning in the UK mean that no database can tell you reliably if a route is open and cirtainly not if it is suitable for you as that can be a very subjective judgement. To plan a route, you either need to be fairly experienced or tag along with someone else IMO.

pugwash said:
Might be best to affiliiate ELCO to Glass as then you can get free membership iirc- Paul Humphries (paul H on here) is the chap to talk to- he's a CRAG area rep and has been promoting greenlaning for years- has a LOT of useful knowledge.

Affiliation sounds like a good idea but I assume GLASS would expect the club to pay instead of the individual members which probably doesn't suit ELCO. Worth exploring? Individual membership is 35 quid.

From what I've heard, CRAG is much more worth joining than GLASS.

One link that's worth a look-see www.trailwise.org.uk lists (almost?) all the greenlanes in the UK plus a few other tracks and trails and gives details on legalities and TRO's etc. I use it every time I plan a laning trip as it's alot quicker and easier than going to the RoW officer. The greenlanes are marked on a map linked from the sites main page (click here). I've never had a problem with it giving me erroneous info but it can happen as it's only updated by the likes of you and me, so just be warned.

Jim.

Back