Understanding pressure boost

G

Guest

Guest
Hello the guys,
Well you all know I have the new AAI intercoolers kit and big turbo
too. Well I have 1,6 bar turbo pression instead of ,8 bar from origine
Toyota! So I have big black smoke then the 80 is suddenly flying up
the road.
OK but I have notice a abberation. If I am go 130km heur cruising,
then I am over pression for the orange light. But I have no tr'ailer
or big load! Oh then before the big turbo stuff I go 130km and no
orange light ever come on. So now with the more boost I have the more
pression in the admission tract just to go that same speed I did do
before with no overpression.
Any body have any ideas? I am not worried, this is not a bad thing to me.
Benoit
 
G

Guest

Guest
Benoit
Surely it is that your engine speed at 130km/h is the same as before,
and the amount of exhaust gas will be about the same (same car, same
engine, same speed, slight difference in fuel/air mixture) ...
... so your nice new turbo is providing more boost, but the electronics
think this is "bad" because they think you still have the old turbo.
I wouldn't worry since it proves that your new turbo is working, in fact
I would worry more if it went out.
If you don't like it why not ask Maarten how to disconnect it?
Christopher Bell
| OK but I have notice a abberation. If I am go 130km heur cruising,
| then I am over pression for the orange light. But I have no tr'ailer
| or big load! Oh then before the big turbo stuff I go 130km and no
| orange light ever come on. So now with the more boost I have the more
| pression in the admission tract just to go that same speed I did do
| before with no overpression.
____________________________________________________________
Electronic mail messages entering and leaving Arup business
systems are scanned for acceptability of content and viruses
 
G

Guest

Guest
all I know guys is that 1.6 pressure is too high!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and
is not good for the engine...
that's what I heard from the turbo guy though.Mine was 1.3 and he didn't
like it and put it down to 1.0-1.1
Lubo
On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 6:45 PM, Christopher Bell
<[Email address removed]>wrote:
> Benoit
>
> Surely it is that your engine speed at 130km/h is the same as before,
> and the amount of exhaust gas will be about the same (same car, same
> engine, same speed, slight difference in fuel/air mixture) ...
>
> ... so your nice new turbo is providing more boost, but the electronics
> think this is "bad" because they think you still have the old turbo.
>
> I wouldn't worry since it proves that your new turbo is working, in fact
> I would worry more if it went out.
>
> If you don't like it why not ask Maarten how to disconnect it?
>
> Christopher Bell
>
> | OK but I have notice a abberation. If I am go 130km heur cruising,
> | then I am over pression for the orange light. But I have no tr'ailer
> | or big load! Oh then before the big turbo stuff I go 130km and no
> | orange light ever come on. So now with the more boost I have the more
> | pression in the admission tract just to go that same speed I did do
> | before with no overpression.
> ____________________________________________________________
> Electronic mail messages entering and leaving Arup business
> systems are scanned for acceptability of content and viruses
>
> --
> European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List
> Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Benoit,
I think perhaps you are looking at the difference between a turbo petrol and
a turbo diesel. With a diesel you can increase boost without increasing
fuel (ie more exhaust gas but as more air is being forced into the engine)
and it is OK, actually I was told on this list it kept the exhaust
temperatures down. More pressure but the same fuel so a leaner mixture.
On a petrol more boost means you have to add more fuel, if the mixture goes
lean it's a bad bad thing but more fuel means you go faster.
Malcolm
Stafford (UK)
FJ45 '75 & FJ45 '76
-----Original Message-----
From: [Email address removed] [mailto:[Email address removed]] On
Behalf Of Benoit Bernard
Sent: 06 September 2008 17:02
To: [Email address removed]
Cc: Benoit Bernard
Subject: [ELCO]: Understanding pressure boost
OK but I have notice a abberation. If I am go 130km heur cruising,
then I am over pression for the orange light. But I have no tr'ailer
or big load! Oh then before the big turbo stuff I go 130km and no
orange light ever come on. So now with the more boost I have the more
pression in the admission tract just to go that same speed I did do
before with no overpression.
Any body have any ideas? I am not worried, this is not a bad thing to me.
 
Don't like the adverts? Remove them by becoming a supporting member.   Click here
G

Guest

Guest
Benoit,
I take it that the orange light is the turbo light that will come on
when the turbo boost goes over 1 bar.
It's quite simple, your turbo is providing more boost so this will turn
the orange light on. This isn't a big problem, the 1HD-T and 1HD-FT
engines are able to handle some massive boosts.
What is worrying is your talk of smoke - if you are getting black smoke
it is an indication of over fuelling.
With diesels you can gently up the boost and fuelling to get more power,
but you get to this over fuelling point where the temperatures in the
cylinder head rise too high leading to damage to valves and injectors
and eventually catastrophic damage to the head.
As a rule of thumb you can tweak the pump so that you get a little puff
of black smoke when you accelerate hard with very little smoke when
general running, however a more scientific approach is to fit an Exhaust
Gas Temperature sensor - you generally install a sensor in the exhaust
manifold between the engine and the turbo and then monitor the
temperatures of the exhaust gases.
Regards,
Julian Voelcker
0845 5086863
[Email address removed]
 
G

Guest

Guest
cylinder head rise too high leading to damage to valves and injectors
and eventually catastrophic damage to the head
Julian
is that you wrote what we called engine overhaul?
Lubo
On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 5:43 PM, Julian A.R. Voelcker
<[Email address removed]>wrote:
> Benoit,
>
> I take it that the orange light is the turbo light that will come on
> when the turbo boost goes over 1 bar.
>
> It's quite simple, your turbo is providing more boost so this will turn
> the orange light on. This isn't a big problem, the 1HD-T and 1HD-FT
> engines are able to handle some massive boosts.
>
> What is worrying is your talk of smoke - if you are getting black smoke
> it is an indication of over fuelling.
>
> With diesels you can gently up the boost and fuelling to get more power,
> but you get to this over fuelling point where the temperatures in the
> cylinder head rise too high leading to damage to valves and injectors
> and eventually catastrophic damage to the head.
>
> As a rule of thumb you can tweak the pump so that you get a little puff
> of black smoke when you accelerate hard with very little smoke when
> general running, however a more scientific approach is to fit an Exhaust
> Gas Temperature sensor - you generally install a sensor in the exhaust
> manifold between the engine and the turbo and then monitor the
> temperatures of the exhaust gases.
>
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Julian Voelcker
> 0845 5086863
> [Email address removed]
> --
> European Land Cruiser Owners Mailing List
> Further Info: http://www.landcruisers.info/lists/
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Thank you Christopher
Well you may be on to some good idea there. But when I tow my Range
someplace I only go on the fun pedal untill the orange light wobbles
on a bit. So I know I am not soliciting too much power and heat for
the motor on the long hill.
Benoit in France
 
G

Guest

Guest
Hello Julien,
Well you know I am agreement with you. But I did ask Maarten and he
say they have troubles with exhaust gas pyrometres. So they do not
offer that.
May be you know some other organism that does offer them pyrometres? I
have hear from many years that they are a good ideas.
No my black smoke is some llittle ittle clouds on first throttle, then
is not so much unless I push hard on the happy petal.
 
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks