Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Uninsured vehicle hot spots

Sorry but this line in the second article is absolutely hilarious!!!!

"Five of them took a homemade bomb to an EDL rally in Dewsbury, West Yorkshire, last June but arrived after it ended."

Purely the thought of all the time and effort they must have gone too, only to turn up late. Who was in charge of the Sat Nav???

Terrorism is NOT funny. but by God (or which ever other Deity you believe in) this is.

How do you, and for how long, drive without insurance before being caught?

I drive from Herts into London every day. The number of police I pass with ANPR cameras on is, well, at least one per trip. Ignoring the London aspect and their "right of steel" cameras they have starting on the A1, even out where I live I see the cars at least once every two weeks or so.
My wife and I got pulled by one a few years back when the insurance company failed to inform the police of the policy renewal. It was a year old car so I was curious and asked them (once it was all cleared) why and how they got us. He simply said "the computer beeped at us as you drove past"

Is it not a certainty that within an annoyingly short period you will get caught without insurance? I can understand the risk if you drive a banger and get caught every 6 months.

I'll never understand why motorists were not compelled to display an insurance disc or something similar in the UK, Is there such a thing as a police man/woman/traffic warden or equivalent these days in the UK? Our local bobby (in Birmingham) used to patrol the parked cars with one eye on their tax discs. He would soon get his notebook out if there was one missing or expired. Seems like these days even big brother can't be bothered to take much notice.

Here there's no such thing as road tax, but motorists have to display the RCA sticker (equivalent of third party "legal minimum" insurance).

Please don't start jumping because there's no road tax either, we have to pay a "property or possessions" tax here, it levies a local tax on apartments, houses, land and cars :cry: and my beloved 80 costs me about £600 a year!

I think it's about time the UK looked at a license plate system that is only obtainable once the car owner has tax, mot and insurance in place, would be so much easier to sort out the cheats.

We have to display our equivlent MOT (CT) sticker, insurance sticker, no road tax though :)

Much better system, oh, and if you drive without your license, its a fine!

Steve

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I got stopped in France last year by 2 gendarmes standing in the middle of a country road. There was another one 50 ft further up with a single barrelled pump action shotgun to shoot my tyres out presumably. After checking my insurance they let me go.

Frank

Is this not what the new tax system is for. The way I read it you cant have a taxed vehicle thats not insured so surely all dvla have to do is cross their list with the insurancr list and pass the result on to the police that should pick up at least 50% of them. The rest are going to be more of a challange because these will be the crooks. Driving on false plates or knocked off tax discs. This is where propper police work comes in. It really wouldn't take much using the current system. Plus the punishment for having an uninsured taxed vehicle should carry the same maximum as driving uninsured that will soon stop people forgetting

How do you, and for how long, drive without insurance before being caught?

I drive from Herts into London every day. The number of police I pass with ANPR cameras on is, well, at least one per trip. Ignoring the London aspect and their "right of steel" cameras they have starting on the A1, even out where I live I see the cars at least once every two weeks or so.
My wife and I got pulled by one a few years back when the insurance company failed to inform the police of the policy renewal. It was a year old car so I was curious and asked them (once it was all cleared) why and how they got us. He simply said "the computer beeped at us as you drove past"

Is it not a certainty that within an annoyingly short period you will get caught without insurance? I can understand the risk if you drive a banger and get caught every 6 months.

I rode a bike in London for 6 months uninsured - unwittingly. (Due to a cock up with the insurers - long story). Anyway, not once was I picked up. :wtf:

Have to admit I drove all over Northern Ireland in a couple of uninsured cars for a whole summer in the nineties and never heard a word about it, this was in the nineties when there were still police and checkpoints everywhere. And this was in a Southern Irish car where you have to display a disk, drove all over the south too. Have to say that the whole insurance rip off bugs me in general, I'd have no objection to a sensible system where people claimed ONLY off their own insurance, regardless of fault. Somehow I imagine insurance would be a lot cheaper??? And it would stop most of the fraudulent claims too, but maybe there wouldn't be enough money for the 'vested interests' then? Its the vehicle seizure part I have the main problem with, if the state can take your property from you it means you don't own it surely?

Is this not what the new tax system is for. The way I read it you cant have a taxed vehicle thats not insured so surely all dvla have to do is cross their list with the insurancr list and pass the result on to the police that should pick up at least 50% of them. The rest are going to be more of a challange because these will be the crooks. Driving on false plates or knocked off tax discs. This is where propper police work comes in. It really wouldn't take much using the current system. Plus the punishment for having an uninsured taxed vehicle should carry the same maximum as driving uninsured that will soon stop people forgetting
I.M.H.O proper police work costs money. Relying on CCTV / ANPR and perhaps Drones (in the future) to do police work is :eusa-naughty:

Last edited:
Back