Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Unusual jack

I want one already. I think as with all kit, used at the right time and the right place, that could be fantastic. It's when its application is misunderstood that it becomes a problem. Like a High Lift I suppose. I dunno how many times you could use it before it got bent out of shape. Not much good on IFS either probably. I wonder if TBR or Devon could get them. Super quick for a basic tyre change.
Bulk order anyone?

Chris

I don't like the idea of a jack that is designed to allow the vehicle to "fall" off easily. Looks like you could easily knock the vehicle forward when trying to lift a big, heavy tire onto the hub.

Also if you got into it with a flat tyre with tall sidewalls would there be enough clearance to fit the fully inflated spare?

I don't like high lifts either :lol:

Ian

I think that like I said, used in the right context it could be good. With all the other wheels on the ground, diff locked and HB applied, I think that it would be fine for normal use.

I have dealt with RASTA before. Got a bit of a runaround

Chris

I'd rather use the OEM bottle jack than that thanks!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Jon Wildsmith said:
I'd rather use the OEM bottle jack than that thanks!
I think I agree with you, it may be quick, but would it be safe? once it's up in position it didn't look very far 'back' and wouldn't take much to topple forward. :o I only posted the link out of interest, not as a suggestion. :oops:
Chas

Well what a load of big girls blouses! Blimey, it's a wonder that you allow electricity and gas into your homes!

If I was in the middle of hostile bandit country late in the evening and got a flat, I'd have that out out quick as a flash, tyre changed and off again before they could say 'You Eeeenglish, you come with me, click clack, you like my AK47. I like your preeety laydee. She will make fine wife, Oooh yees'

I wouldn't use one as routine either, but in an emergency, you have to balance the levels of risk. Be shot at an used for bum fun for the rest of your life by a bunch of toothless nomads or make sure you keep your toes out of the way for a couple of mins with someone holding their foot on the brake.

Where do I place my order? :lol:

Chris

Chris said:
Well what a load of big girls blouses! Blimey, it's a wonder that you allow electricity and gas into your homes!

If I was in the middle of hostile bandit country late in the evening and got a flat, I'd have that out out quick as a flash, tyre changed and off again before they could say 'You Eeeenglish, you come with me, click clack, you like my AK47. I like your preeety laydee. She will make fine wife, Oooh yees'

I wouldn't use one as routine either, but in an emergency, you have to balance the levels of risk. Be shot at an used for bum fun for the rest of your life by a bunch of toothless nomads or make sure you keep your toes out of the way for a couple of mins with someone holding their foot on the brake.

Where do I place my order? :lol:

Chris

Christ I knew the north was bad but I had no idea. You should come down south for a bit.

Chris said:
Well what a load of big girls blouses! Blimey, it's a wonder that you allow electricity and gas into your homes!Chris
I've got the lecky but I only use it to light the oil lamps :lol: :lol:
Chas

Shame you can't re-use the pin to lock it in the upright position

Chris said:
Chris

I see you've broken down in Glasgow before then :D

Julian said:
Shame you can't re-use the pin to lock it in the upright position
It could still topple over if it rolled forward.
Chas

Most times when I want a wheel off the ground away from home it's because the tyre is flat. By the time you've got that thing deployed with the axle high enough for an inflated 36" Simex I'll be back home having a beer :mrgreen:

Of course it would be necessary to tie it to your bumper so that when you drive away, you don't leave it lying in the road - in your rush to get back for a cold one.
I have never had a break down in Glasgow. Been close a few times, but then I changed my job and felt a lot better. Oh there will be letters about that I am sure!

I do like it as a gadget but I can help feeling that there could be a few little improvements. Like a bigger base plate maybe? And of course you'd need a special £50 bracket to attach it to your roof rack. :? ;) Maybe you could use it on your towbar and get both wheels of the ground? Oh stop it.

C

Oh nice thinking, how about a version that goes straight into a 2" receiver front and back, getting around the potential IFS problem
I think I might be getting a bit daft now

Well I have considered air jacks powered from my on board compressor and tank. NAS car style. Not least have I thought about a sort of axle stand idea that could slot into a point on a slider so that once up, you can lower off and jack somewhere else. OK sliders need to be strong. Erm, I think I qualify there. This would be handy of you needed to raise the body but not the axles. Wondered about something that could lock the axle to the chassis like a big clip so that when you jack the body, the wheel comes up much quicker. I have a high lift jack, but the travel is so much that I can't get a wheel off the ground with it!

Chris

A friend had rams on his rally raid running of the power steering pump, very cool, he could lock them out leaving the whole thing of the floor with the wheels off, very touring car

The off road racers in Germany have been doing that jacking trick for years using a pair of axle stands. Relatively safe once up if you chock the other end (as we all do when lifting on a jack... :ugeek: ). More compact than axle stands but not as versatile.

Back