Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Up mount Etna in an 80

THL

Country Flag
europe
Thought some on here might enjoy these pictures I took when I helped map a bit of Mount Etna last week. My Dad has been studying Etna for 49 years and aways had Land Rovers to do the job until he bought this second hand Landcruiser 80 in 2007. For the last 11 years its been faithfully doing the 3300 round trip from Hertfordshire to Nicolosi along with a good 3000 miles off road on Etna over the 8 week trip. In his opinion its better both on and off road, more reliable and lugs more equipment than any Land Rover he's had.

Huge thanks to @Trevor for the front axle rebuild , PAS pump install along with numerous advice and patience :sunglasses:. Also @chapel gate for parts.

First day is mostly motorway and we normally stay with his friends in the alps, unfortunately they weren't in so we had to slum it on the first night at the only open hotel nearby :grinning:
28tyis5.jpg

Second day starts with great scenery and a nice stop for a drink
dm4gtt.jpg

2cdu4yf.jpg

End of the second day approaching another mate's house just outside Rome.
34t8nl4.jpg

Loading onto the ferry bound for Sicily at the end of the third day
15ouf83.jpg

Up with great weather, surveying on the flanks of Etna's South East crater.
n6utnb.jpg

Then the weather changed
119szyg.jpg

It was about this point that a large thunderstorm rolled in, there was so much static that anything metal buzzed; helmets, watches etc . Dashed back to the Landcruiser as this is a perfect faraday cage :blush:
zn943q.jpg

It decided to snow briefly
34z11ed.jpg

We retreated down to the lower slopes to find better weather and carry out some dry tilt.
3011umw.jpg

Next day was the same story, lots of fog and rain but no snow
1z23fw1.jpg

Quick stop at the buried house
24vur04.jpg

I only had a few days down there and flew back but the 80 seemed to handle everything. Alot of the access roads have washed away as Sicily seems to have swapped weather with the UK this summer, the Landcruiser didn't mind one bit.
2qmjexy.jpg

Double posted! How do you delete a thread???

Back