Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

URGENT!!!! Cooked auto box

Matt999

Country Flag
great_britain
Hi there,

I urgently need advice from other 80 owners. Before you read further please be advised that I currently do no yet own the vehicle, I have only got a deposit on it.

Between my deposit going down and the arranged date of picking it up, I received a concerning phone call saying that it had lost all drive. Initial inspection has found that water has found its way into the auto box and produced the dreaded strawberry milkshake. The fluid had been flushed with nil effect. Suspect auto box change.

Luckily I'm not expected to foot the bill for the transmission replacement.

Providing that the box is changed with a refurbished equivalent, should I have any cause for concern? What are the likely ingress points of water into the system?

Please provide as much advice as you can as the seller has offered to return my deposit. I'm not sure whether to tell him to shove it or run with the car after the box has been swapped out.

ADVICE PLEASE!!!!! I know next to sweet F A about auto boxes!

I believe there is a cooler in the base of the radiator that may be the culprit as water can get into the cooling circuit from the rad. A rad change is necessary if this is the case.

Don't take my word on this as I've no personal experience of it. I'm sure somebody will be along to confirm this if I'm right.

Forgot to say - apparently the rad has recently been changed, is there a oil/water heat exchanger between the rad and the gearbox?

yes there is a cooler / heat exchanger in the rad, this is where the water & ATF will mix if it fails, so a new rad is needed, but what would concern me more is where the 'new' 'recon' auto box is coming from.

Will the seller just bung anything in to get shot of it to cut his losses???

Andy

This was my thought. Better to get appropriate money off and sort himself do you think?

Who knows, it might even be something simple…or not.

I'd be very suspicious of what anyone did to it just to get rid of it, i assume you drove it before putting down a deposit & it was ok ie the engine, brakes, & anything else, as said above it needs a new rad as well as another box, no amount of flushing will bring it back to life, don't know what year it is or what your paying for it but if you want it you need a big reduction in price & you have to factor in getting it transported to your home.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
"Better to get appropriate money off and sort himself do you think?

Who knows, it might even be something simple…or not."

This is what i would do.

Matt, unless this is an extremely exceptional vehicle that took you ages to find and ticks all your boxes, I would get your deposited back and walk away now. There are plenty more out there to choose from, albeit in ever diminishing numbers.

Whoever owns it right now will most likely want to fix it as cheaply as they can, this may cause you problems further down the line.

Typical radiator/transmission cooler failure, seen it on dozens of cars. Losing drive is really bad, normally they carry on driving, the water boils and pushes the ATF out on to the hot exhaust and they catch fire.

Find and alternative as getting the water out requires flush after flush after flush...........................................................................

regards

Dave

Back