Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Urgent - no power at all.

Roy Duffy

Country Flag
scotland
Hi hope you guys can help.

No ignition power or any power.

I have a 1996 UK spec 80 GS. Everything was working fine yesterday. I replaced both front window runners, took it for a drive and car wash and all was well. I went to start it this morning and nothing. No central locking, no horn and no ignition.

Had 11 volts on drivers side battery and did not test passenger side as had to get to work.

Really hope someone can help or it will be the RAC tonight.

Thank very much Roy :)

11 volts is very low, either something drained the batteries or the batteries have had it. Both batteries should show the same voltage while connected as they're in parallel. It's worth disconnecting the earth terminal on each one and measuring the voltage like that. When were the batteries last replaced?

Thanks Jon ill look into that. I replaced both front window runners yesterday so doors were open for about 4 hours (slow i know, i was taking my time :) )

I had the radio on most of that time and LED interior lights on all that time. I took it for a mile drive to the shop and car wash. It started fine 4 times times after doing the windows, but i suppose that might have drained the battery due to starting a few times without a decent drive.

Ill check both batteries tonight and try to give it a jump start.

I have had the vehicle since march. So I do not know the history of the batteries.

Is there a fusible link that could cut all power? As even the door card LED light do not come on.

This is not normal starting/lack of charging type symptoms. Eitehr you have a lead has come off, a fusible link has failed or you have a major drain on the batteries which has caused them to discharge overnight. My own pick would be a cable disconnected or a fusible link.

there are fusible links and some big fuses in the engine bay and interior fuse box's so it could be one of those blown or more likely a bad earth connection?

Thanks very much for looking and the responses!! I got it going with a long jump start from a car. I have taken it for a drive to charge it up a bit, so will see what tomorrow brings. Even the clock reset it self, so maybe the batteries are needing to be replaced. Thanks again!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back