Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

USB sockets in centre console.

chapel gate

Supporter
Promoted Company
Country Flag
england
Finally got round to sorting out the complete lack of charging in the 80.

20161231_160036.jpg

two double usb sockets at 2.5 amps per socket and one 15 amp din socket. These are much more secure and positive than a cig socket.

20170112_170018.jpg

two double sockets inside the console. These are great because two phones and tablets can be left to charge out of sight.

20170116_134334.jpg

ive wired them up constant live. This way the keys dont have to be in the ignition and the doors can be locked while things charge or run like a fridge etc. This might not always be desirable so the defog switch above isolates the whole lot when turned off. Im looking for a usb emblem to replace the defog.

cant forget the 15 amp din at the back.
20170105_152535.jpg

Where did you get your sockets? Or what did you Google for to find them? I need to sort something out before my iPad addicted kids kill each other over the single socket in the back.

Yawn........
Your not still going on about those blooming sockets are you ??

Only joking nice idea

Finally got round to sorting out the complete lack of charging in the 80.

View attachment 112512
two double usb sockets at 2.5 amps per socket and one 15 amp din socket. These are much more secure and positive than a cig socket.

View attachment 112513

two double sockets inside the console. These are great because two phones and tablets can be left to charge out of sight.

View attachment 112514
ive wired them up constant live. This way the keys dont have to be in the ignition and the doors can be locked while things charge or run like a fridge etc. This might not always be desirable so the defog switch above isolates the whole lot when turned off. Im looking for a usb emblem to replace the defog.

cant forget the 15 amp din at the back.
View attachment 112515
Congrats, that's a very neat job. :clap:

Yawn........
Your not still going on about those blooming sockets are you ??

Only joking nice idea
Im still waiting for your write up on your camping storage set up a i saw at the overland show...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Im still waiting for your write up on your camping storage set up a i saw at the overland show...
Lol. By that I think your meaning I have no organisation.
We'll wait until this year and the new set up ;)

Cheers chas.

hands free blue tooth still works with the phone inside the console. I had visions of the gamma rays just pinging around in there...

Would those tallon things fit where you've put your on/ off fog switch?

Would those tallon things fit where you've put your on/ off fog switch?
With some trimming i would say yes, they do a smaller version that fits directly into 100 series switch blanks. There is a chinese rocker style socket that is a direct fit. My original plan was to put the sockets where the coin holders are, but i wanted ones with a cover or spring loaded flap. Because of the tobacco and chicken leg issue, but I couldnt find any i liked. The main thing that changed my mind though was having four usb cables all over the place, i hate cables draped everywhere. All personal preference of course.

Good idea putting the USBs inside, mind my console is always choc-a-bloc with useful rubbish, no room for phones :doh:

I've got two doubles where your coin tray is (1 each side) and 2 at the back of the console where your round ones are, but my clumsy daughter is forever catching her feet on them when in use and breaking the socket/plug. Goodness knows the number of cables I've got through :icon-rolleyes:

IMG_8520.JPG

Good idea putting the USBs inside, mind my console is always choc-a-bloc with useful rubbish, no room for phones :doh:

I've got two doubles where your coin tray is (1 each side) and 2 at the back of the console where your round ones are, but my clumsy daughter is forever catching her feet on them when in use and breaking the socket/plug. Goodness knows the number of cables I've got through :icon-rolleyes:

View attachment 112520
Mmmm, illumination..

Im getting some cables like this clive to help with the big foot problem.
http://www.miniinthebox.com/reversi...255914862867&gclid=CPrgpI3dx9ECFcQV0wodMf4Dww

View attachment 112520

I've got the same as Clive's in my 4Runner, and again jettisoned the coin trays. I also have some 20cm USB cables that are long enough to charge the phones and not get in the way. If I wanted to charge my tablet, I'd just change to a longer cable (however, the tablet that works won't fit in the mount... I need to get a new screen organised for the old Nexus 7 after I put under a 3 door Land Rover Discovery's seat mechanism....)

I got the double USB replacement adaptor for the cigar for the front, just plug it in. I did plan to get rid of the ciggy lighter but many accessories still need them. At the rear I fitted one of the dual type USB plugs, above and left of the solar controller, IIRC one is listed for mobile charging and one higher rated for tablet, to the right is a standard cigar lighter, again for the reason mentioned above.

a2.jpg

regards

Dave

Back