Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

usual 100 series steering column not working

Johnnyblaster

Country Flag
uk
hi guys just got my new 2002 100 series and steering column wont move and when u put key in it doesnt can hear motor trying has any one had any luck fixing due they just seize up or is it a new one
cheers John

Welcome to the forum.
There are a few threads on the matter in here (and in other LC forums). Search.
Bottom line is that those two motors do wear out after less than 10 years if the automatic "up-and-away" function is activated (default). So the only fix seems to be to disable the auto function before the motors wear out :) . Or get new motors every time they fail.
And add vehicle details in your signature line.

hi guys just got my new 2002 100 series and steering column wont move and when u put key in it doesnt can hear motor trying has any one had any luck fixing due they just seize up or is it a new one
cheers John
Hi John,

Will it refuse to move in any direction? there are two motors, one for tilt (up and down) and one for telescopic, the motors not working is a problem (not necessarily common) and do where out, mine were replaced before I bought my 100, and it had only done 72000 at the time, so it depends on how much they are used, I guess.

I'm lucky, as I'm the only driver and my preferred driving postion is with the steering wheel fully up and retracted, so there nothing for the steering motors to do.

It's not to difficult to have a look at the motors, you only have to remove the upper and lower steering column covers, don't think you have to remove the steering wheel.

I dare say a member who has actually replaced the motors will soon chirp up.

Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worth a look to see if the motors actually turn or are dead. If they turn maybe check for mechanical problems like stripped gears or jamming. If they don’t move check you get voltage to them at the connectors when they are meant to be running. If you have Volts but no movement then it’s a motor fault. I’m not sure on the size of these (this is generic info here) but might be worth a chat with Mike at Robson And Francis to see if they can be rewound. He may well have come across them before.

Worth a look to see if the motors actually turn or are dead. If they turn maybe check for mechanical problems like stripped gears or jamming. If they don’t move check you get voltage to them at the connectors when they are meant to be running. If you have Volts but no movement then it’s a motor fault. I’m not sure on the size of these (this is generic info here) but might be worth a chat with Mike at Robson And Francis to see if they can be rewound. He may well have come across them before.
Hi StarCruiser,

Good suggestion about the rewind:thumbup:, but these motors are quite small, I don't think they are serviceable, it can be a common problem with the, to quote uHu, "automatic "up-and-away" function".

Hi StarCruiser,

Good suggestion about the rewind:thumbup:, but these motors are quite small, I don't think they are serviceable, it can be a common problem with the, to quote uHu, "automatic "up-and-away" function".
how do you disable the motors

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
how do you disable the motors

You don't actually disable the motors only the 'Auto fuction' (see uHu's reply number 2) they can still be operated manually with the switch on the column, I think, (although I'm not sure) the 'Auto Function' can be disabled with a 'Tech-Stream' or at a Toyota Dealer.

Once the motors are 'Kaput' I think the column is pretty much stuck in the postion of when they failed (again, not 100% sure of this).

Like previously stated, the trick to making them last is not to use them:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

You don't actually disable the motors only the 'Auto fuction' (see uHu's reply number 2) they can still be operated manually with the switch on the column, I think, (although I'm not sure) the 'Auto Function' can be disabled with a 'Tech-Stream' or at a Toyota Dealer.

Once the motors are 'Kaput' I think the column is pretty much stuck in the postion of when they failed (again, not 100% sure of this).

Like previously stated, the trick to making them last is not to use them:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:
Thanks

Your welcome, hope it made sense.

Also, it might be worth reading page 129 in the Owner's manual.

My steering column is fully up and retracted all the time, for my driving position, so the motors never get used.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are piezoelectric motors. The " armature " spins very slowly indeed and has a very high torque. There is no internal gearing nor brushes. There is a friction coating in the motor which wears through and as far as I know there is no cure. I tried several attempts at mine but failed. The best solution was a .005 thick ptfe washer which lasted 3 times and then wore through. I guess they use this design due to the small space they have to go in to. You can disable the auto function with a laptop with a suitable programme. This still leaves you with full use of both motors via the joystick.

They are piezoelectric motors. The " armature " spins very slowly indeed and has a very high torque. There is no internal gearing nor brushes.
Well you got me there Frank. I never knew such things existed. After a quick google I’m now aware of them.

Nope, all my suggestions about rewinding are useless as Frank says, there are no windings or brushes. Bin it and buy new I would guess is the only option.

Thanks Frank, every day’s a school day. :)

Thank you for all your advise i striped Colum and I got them moving a bit looks more like it’s all a bit seized up main thing I got it to the position that’s right for me a full strip out and clean might be the way but just time to take truck out comission

The armature is almost impossible to turn by hand even on a new motor. They cant really seize.

the screw can seize, and it does. There is even a TSB on it. The fix is to clean and lube the moving parts (except the motor)

Back