V8 air filter housing change and 2nd battery install

Jon Wildsmith

Super Moderator
Supporter
Guru
Garage
Country Flag
england
The standard air filter on Euro and US petrol 100 series is a flat box type that doesn't leave room for a 2nd battery on the drivers side but some markets (e.g. UAE) get a cyclonic filter like the diesel which does leave room for that 2nd battery. Ian was able to get me the parts to swap to that type of filter / housing :D

IMAG0356.jpg

had to bend and trim the OEM PS reservoir bracket to fit in a new position.

IMAG0348.jpg

Also had to extend the MAF wires a little to reach the sensors new position.

So now I have better filtering, washable filters and space for the aux battery to go under the bonnet instead of in the boot, which is my next job :D

Neat :cool:

Is this all making room for the soopercharger Jay Dubbleyuh?? :mrgreen:

Looks good.

Can't understand why it didn't come that way from factory. Looks dated?

Gav Peter said:
Is this all making room for the soopercharger Jay Dubbleyuh?? :mrgreen:
it's not connected to that dream Gav, just improving the air filtering and getting the aux battery into a better spot.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
uHu said:
Can't understand why it didn't come that way from factory. Looks dated?
I'm assuming the air box Europe got flows better, either that or it's cheaper to make are the only reasons I've come up with.

Wildsmith, looks good! I have my cyclonic air box installed too. My MAF wires came up a little short also. I ended up just opening the wiring loom, near the fender a little and it reaches fine with some slack. I will be installing the battery next. I guess I'll use stock hold down, like I think you did. Just need to get a suitable tray for it.

The OEM clamp worked with some 25mmx25mm angle and a bit of foam to pad out the end nearest the headlight. The anchor for the bar at the other end I just used some 25mmx25mm angle bolted to the inner wing with a hole for the bar to hook into. The battery is just resting on the inner wing at the moment so I need to make or order a tray now. I already had an aux battery in the back so I only had to redo the wiring a little to make it work in the new position. Really glad you started your thread on ih8mud reminding me about that air box style and make me pull my finger out :thumbup:

I believe there is an OEM tray that'll fit exactly in that spot but the area is fairly flat that I'm just going to get a universal tray and use the stock tie down for that stockish look =)

Very nice Jon! Never did like the idea of having the secondary battery located in the rear load area. I've got to ask the question though. Why are you now getting better air filtering with a cyclonic filter than with the standard Euro OEM square air filter?

JC

The Dark Dude

The cyclonic housing does a better job of separating the dust out of the air before it gets to the filter so it should take longer to clog the filter. AFAIK you can't get a washable filter for the standard housing either. Mine seem to fill up with lots of insects which I guess wouldn't happen without the snorkel, it's a shame the truck won't run on crushed insect I'd save a fortune! I checked the dust traps on the new air box at the weekend and it already had quite a collection of insects that fell out when I gave it a squeeze to open it up!

Jon

Couldn't the situation with the insects be sorted by putting a hair net over over the snorkel??????

JC

The Dark Dude

Possibly John but do you really think I want to drive round with a hair net on? :lol: Doesn't solve the other benefits of the swap which collectively make it worth while for me.

Anyway I picked up a cyclonic air filter housing (off a LC100 oil burner) today. What other bits and pieces will I need to make it fit and should I put my man in Enfield on the case when Ryan goes off to Dubai to do so me shopping?

John

I don't know if they're the same units on the petrol vs diesel 100's but even if the main housing is the same you'll need the right pipe from the air box to the engine which is completely different to the diesel.

I don't know if they're the same units on the petrol vs diesel 100's but even if the main housing is the same you'll need the right pipe from the air box to the engine which is completely different to the diesel.

Which means I'm going to have to get Ryan on the case before he jets off and that's if he has not already left.

John

Jon

Couldn't this pipe work be made up for me by someone, somewhere?

John

probably, but unless their hourly labour rate is very low it may be more expensive than buying a proper job.

Back