Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

V8 FJ40 going Diesel

JonFJ1969

firstly i apologise i should of started this thread years ago, been lurking around the site for years but never posted anything of value but read just about all posts relating to 40 or 70 series. back in 2010 i took the plunge and purchased my 1973 Nebula green FJ40 during a drunken ebay night from Oz, eight weeks later she arrived and much better condition than i was hoping for, she came over with 5.0 litre chevy engine on gas mated via marks adapter plate to the standard 4 speed toyota gearbox. took the gas kit off and ran as standard petrol, mainly used it for laning and pay and play then in 2012 at Holymoorside went swimming a little to deep and manage to F up the clutch and she wouldnt go into gear, turned out i had glazed clutch (sucked in some reeds) and gear linkage had got screwed, anyway this got fixed picked her up but during the six or so weeks it took to get it all done i had lost some oil and the main seal failed and ended up lunching the engine, so i purchased a brand new crate 350 V8 engine, all fitted and now has done around 4000 miles so barely run in. last year i also purchased a BJ74 with a 13BT engine and i am so impressed with this i ended up buying a 3B engine and H55 gearbox with the thought of one day of updating my transmission and fitting a diesel. well folks that day has now arrived... this week the 3B was test fired and she started immediately has great oil pressure and has great compression, the 3B cam with all the ancillaries. (thank you to Colin at Midland vehicle breakers the engine came out of range rover i was told for a project that never got off the ground) i also purchased a H55 from Brendan at classic cruiser restoration in Ireland who is very helpful and knowledgable about 40 series who deserves special thanks.
Therefore i will try over the coming weeks to get a build thread going on this conversion.
We have a few hurdles to overcome, removing the chevy, adding disk handbrake, engine / gearbox mounts, PTO winch mate up, prop lengths, i have purchased all the long delivery time items i think!!
will try and get some images up as we go along but i think i cant until i have made a few posts (admin please confirm as i cant seem to upload any images?), Local Chap to me Adrain is doing the conversion as he is very knowledgable and very close by, AD Motorsport is his company, feel free to bang off any questions or helpful input you have. cheers Jon

IMG_1389.jpg
IMG_1916.jpg IMG_1764.jpg IMG_1765.jpg

Luddite alert, i have worked out how to upload images!

First one as how the engine is now, its a beast but in my quest for the perfect daily driver i cant afford to run the 5.7 litre petrol.

Second image, it the BJ74 its what i have been using as my DD, turbo charging of the 3B will come.

Images 3 and 4 are of the engine as she landed.

will try and get a video uploaded of the 3B coming to life, it started immediately which really surprised the guys doing the work.

Reactions: uHu
hmmmm - promising to be a good thread :)

Good to see you going ahead with the diesel swap Jon... I trust your well mate?
The 74 is looking neat, Speak soon man!:thumbup:

HI Jon we0lcome love the 40's I have a fJ45 and fj40 with hj60 running gear in them and r a lot of fun from Tony.

Another interesting project.

When it comes time to sell the Chevy, please let me know as I know several people who would undoubtedly be interested.

Trgards

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Sure thing Roger, i will sell it along with the 4 speed and marks adapter if anyone wants it. the engine is absolutely sound and barely used, it has a torker manifold, holley carb, edelbrock air cleaners and header covers, i also have a new water pump to go on it plus new extractor to replace the rams head ones on it, there is also a new oil filter to go with it. also i have a range rover adapter plate that was on the 3B to take a land rover gearbox. i have the receipt for the engine, it was a new goodwrench crate motor in 2014 or 2013 i will need to check but its only done about 4000 miles, cheers Jon

Hi All, not much been going on, but eventually got clutch kit sorted, all gaskets and seal changed along with core plugs, dischandbrake on back of H55, engine is now painted but just found out the timing ring on the 3B is worn so ordered new one from Toyota, hopefully once here this week the engine and gearbox can be mated then we can look to remove the SBC and do the changeover, hopefully post some new pictures towards end of the week.

Another interesting project.

When it comes time to sell the Chevy, please let me know as I know several people who would undoubtedly be interested.

Trgards
Hi Roger, chevy is out as is 4 speed gearbox and tranny plus a PTO, maybe also a brisbane winch if i cant get a H55 PTO, PM me to discuss, cheers Jon

HI Jon we0lcome love the 40's I have a fJ45 and fj40 with hj60 running gear in them and r a lot of fun from Tony.
Hi Tony, do you have a PTO (transfer case end) off a bJ60 H55? i also need a clutch fork for same? please let me know, cheers Jon

Hi Jon I have a clutch fork I will have a look two see if l have a transfer box how is it going from Tony.

Hi Tony, my local guy thought he had one but turns out no, so let me know on your fork this will keep me moving forward, i also need the PTO gearbox for the transfer box, the one one doesn't fit so looks like i need the later version. i could go electric as i have an old winch i could utilise
by the way the V8 is out, as is the old transfer and gearbox, the complete front end is missing at present, 3B is dressed to go in, (look really nice) the H55 is also all set, we thought we could reuse the bolts but alas they don't fit either but have some on the way, we need to identify and work out the gearbox and engine mounts, if anyone has any thoughts or has done this before so has measurements please chip in. will get some pictures uploaded soon, its moving forward but quite slowly

Hi All, well sorry for no updates but been busy gathering parts but have found the two clutch forks i have got wont fit, i need a clutch fork for the 3B H55 combo and the 60 series ones i thought would fit dont. Thank you Tony for the fork by the way but it is a tad short (so i have learned) still looking for the correct one so if anyone has one please email me, i also would like the bearing carrier, pins and boot. the car is sat with no engine but has allowed me to get the firewall painted up. still a few jobs to do, Wednesday we are fitting the gearbox assembly so get the mounts sorted, once in we can them re ft the engine and put this in, sort electrics and refit the front end. i am taking pictures as we go so will do a post when nearer completion, had to remove the PTO winch bit, which i would like to sell, found a period electric winch so am going down that route, cheers Jon

Hi Jon can you have the clutch forks made a bit longer good look with it from Tony

Hi Tony, i have a couple of leads for 3B bits but its holiday time in Europe:cry: i will have to wait! cheers Jon

Hi All, sorry for not keeping things up to date, i think i will do a mammoth image upload toward the end. anyways, been busy with the changeover and mainly waiting for bits, eventually got a clutch fork from Canada along with some engine mounts which unfortunately turned out to be falling apart therefore Adrain has manufactured new mounts and used Defender mounts, at least they will be easy to get a hold of. Gearbox is in temporary to get engine fitted, gearbox coming out again some so mounts can be finished, prop lengths done, handbrake to be completed, hopefully in about 3 weeks hopefully be running again. spent weekend in Lake district with the BJ74 and the rain! Parkamoor was fun. next year in the 40 i hope. gave up on finding a PTO for the H55 so have found an old Warn 8200 with some 8274 mods, that will get done with an ARB style front bumper once all running

IMG_0003.jpg IMG_0004.jpg IMG_2231.JPG

Reactions: uHu
not doing to well with clutch forks, the latest one from Canada doesn't fit either, we've think we have got one on the way from states hopefully this puppy will fit and whole job can get buttoned up and done, aiming for end of month for finish.

Back