Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Vacuum issues

Shirmik

Country Flag
australia
I have a 1988 hj61, 12 ht factory turbo and have an issue with the vacuum lines which maybe electrical. The car stalled on me and the only way to get it going again was to disconnect the vacuum line to the stop solenoid but to turn it off, had to do it manually from under the bonnet. Car is auto. At the same time it stalled I lost indicators, all dash lights and gauges, wipers, sunroof, power windows and heater fan. I find it a bit hard to imagine that all these things were on the same circuit but I guess they must be. Have gone through the manual and it is a little vague when it comes to the vacuum set up.
I am wondering if it is the vacuum lines at fault. It could possibly be one of the other items I mentioned at fault that has affected the vacuum system. All fuses in the box have power to and from as fas as I can figure out.
Has anyone got any ideas as to what may have gone wrong or where to start looking?
Any help would br greatly appreciated.
Mike.

Hi Mike, Sounds like you have an electrical problem not a vacuum problem. If all fuses have power, check your earth connections. If there’s a factory service manual somewhere it will tell you where they are. Usually in the foot wells at the sides.

Have spent the day chasing vacuum lines and testing the vsv valves or the ones I could find at least. Came up with nothing.
After posting the first post, went out and re checked the fuse box and no power into the things that aren’t working, and obviously no power out either.
I found three vsv valves with a plug on them but was unsure how to test if they actually are getting power. Tried it with ignition on, off and motor running and came up with no voltage on any of them. Took the valves off and applied 24 volts and they click so something’s happening!
I’m usually like a dog with a bone when it comes to these kind of issues as I hate not finding out the cause of the problem but it may be a bit beyond my scope.
Can’t understand why so many things would be on the same circuit. Have had the main fusible link checked and all is fine. Wish the manual wasn’t so vague.
Thanks for your reply.

It’s clearly electrical. Don’t waste any more time on the vacuum lines.

Have you checked the earth connections? Also check the wiring back, it could be a master relay if there is one or a contact on your ignition. The reason they are all on one circuit is that they all need to be switched at once so it is the supply to the fuses as you say which has lost connection.

Which manual are you using? Normally Toyota Factory Service manuals are very detailed. Have you looked for a 60 Manual on here?
Now you know which wire and fuses lacks power you could trace it back to either a relay somewhere or directly to your ignition switch as it seems it’s either that will be causing this failure.

Yep, I’m pretty sure you are right, definitely electrical. I’m using a Haynes manual which has served me well until it comes to electrics. Will have a scout around and see what I can find that’s a bit more explanatory. Thanks for your replies.

Haven’t had a lot of time to try and sort this issue but have spoken to a couple of people that live almost 800 miles away and they seem to think it’s the AM fuse. Have scoured the manuals and found bugger all. Have you heard of this and do you know where it is?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
@moggy1968 may have an idea where this might be located. If you have a handbook it should be in there. Check fusible links as well straight off the battery positive.

Fraid not and can’t access my manuals at the moment

Last edited:
Can’t get the staff!! :icon-rolleyes:

@iwan_t24 any ideas where this fuse is?

SM, Have you asked your distant helpers where this AM fuse is located?

I've just been looking for my max ellory manual but can't find it.

Are the fusable links alright? They're on the positive battery cable. There could be 3 there so if one is out then could be the cause.

30 amp fuses black with silver alloy caps are by the fuse box.. sorry I cant be much more help!

Start relay?

Fusible links have all checked out ok. Absolutely nothing in the Haynes manual about this fuse.

Fusible links have all checked out ok. Absolutely nothing in the Haynes manual about this fuse.
It’s probably best to ask your 800 mile away people that told you about it to tell you where to find it or send you the drawing they are looking at to see it if that’s what they are doing.

Have you verified that your ignition switch is making contact? Is there an (after Market) immobiliser fitted? Unlikely this.

Another possibility is a bad fuse connection within the fusebox so look out for these and test with load applied such as the heater fan.

Test across your fusible links with a multimeter on Volts DC, you should get zero. You can do this test from the battery plus to any point that should be connected to + and if it comes up zero it’s connected and if 12v or thereabouts it’s not.

Back